Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Financial Modeling

I have an extensive financial model, but need to add a feature for insuring
cash remains above a certain value. What I want to do is express a formula
that states that if cash falls below a specific value, then funds are
transferred from a line of credit. I know this is a conditional formula, but
I am obviously not experienced enough to create the proper formulas.
--
wcc
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Be careful!
If Z1 hold the CASH value
And $1000 (or 1000SF or £1000) is the alarum value
Then, in an empty cell type
=IF(Z1<1000,"Need cash !!!", "OK")
Play with this on a new unimportant workbook
You should be able to see how to customize it to fit your needs
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Bill" wrote in message
I have an extensive financial model, but need to add a feature for insuring
cash remains above a certain value. What I want to do is express a formula
that states that if cash falls below a specific value, then funds are
transferred from a line of credit. I know this is a conditional formula,
but
I am obviously not experienced enough to create the proper formulas.
--
wcc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Bernard:
Thank you. However, can you please provide me with the proper syntax
for a conditional formula. I believe there is something thnat states if x,
then y and converts to some value.

Regards,

Bill
--
wcc

"Bill" wrote in message
I have an extensive financial model, but need to add a feature for insuring
cash remains above a certain value. What I want to do is express a formula
that states that if cash falls below a specific value, then funds are
transferred from a line of credit. I know this is a conditional formula,
but
I am obviously not experienced enough to create the proper formulas.
--
wcc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I gave you an example.
=IF(Z1<1000,"Need cash !!!", "OK")
=IF(test......., true-value.......,false-value)
The syntax
=IF(condition to test, what you what when test is true, what you want when
test is false)
You will learn a great deal if you type in my example; change what is in Z1
watch what happens
Change "Need Cash" to "Holy cow!", etc
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Bill" wrote in message
I have an extensive financial model, but need to add a feature for
insuring
cash remains above a certain value. What I want to do is express a
formula
that states that if cash falls below a specific value, then funds are
transferred from a line of credit. I know this is a conditional
formula,
but
I am obviously not experienced enough to create the proper formulas.
--
wcc

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Oct 19, 10:10 am, Bill wrote:
I have an extensive financial model, but need to add a feature for insuring
cash remains above a certain value. What I want to do is express a formula
that states that if cash falls below a specific value, then funds are
transferred from a line of credit. I know this is a conditional formula, but
I am obviously not experienced enough to create the proper formulas.

The devil is in the details. You do not provide sufficient
information to offer a specific solution. The following paradigm
might help.

First, you will probably need a "helper column" for cash. This is
where you compute your preliminary cash amount. You can hide this
column, if you wish. Call that column A.

Assume column B is your visible cash column. Also, assume that column
C maintains the balance of your line of credit account. Then you
might do something like this:

B3: =max(10000,A3)
C3: =C2 - max(0,10000-A3)

B3 says: if the current preliminary cash balance is less than the
minimum (assumed to be 10000), then set the current cash balance to
the minimum; otherwise, set the current cash balance to the current
preliminary cash balance.

Alternative: =if(A3<10000,10000,A3)

C3 says: if the current preliminary cash balance is less than the
minimum, reduce the previous LOC balance (C2) by whatever it takes to
raise the cash balance to the minimum (10000-A3); otherwise, set the
current LOC balance to the previous LOC balance. Of course, your
formula might be more complicated because other factors might affect
the LOC balance.

Alternative: =if(A3<10000,C2-(10000-A3),C2)

HTH

PS: It would be prudent to replace "10000" with a reference to a cell
that contains the desired minimum balance.