Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Entering Codes Into a Cell

I have a column where the entries are always going to be one of four or five
codes, for simplicy sake lets say it is A, B, C, D or E. How do I set it up
that if anything else but one of those letters is entered, the cell will not
accept it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

The feature you seek is called Data Validation. Select the cell(s) you wish
to treat, and then do DATA VALIDATION SETTINGS TAB LIST and then
follow the menus....

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"George" wrote:

I have a column where the entries are always going to be one of four or five
codes, for simplicy sake lets say it is A, B, C, D or E. How do I set it up
that if anything else but one of those letters is entered, the cell will not
accept it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Click DATA in the menu and select VALIDATION. On the SETTINGS tab, change
the ALLOW option to LIST, and 2 fields below that in the SOURCE field enter
your values, separated by commas.

A,B,C,D

An option you may wish to employ is the ERROR ALERT tab where you can state
what an error message is to display should the user enter something other
than the predefined values.

Click OK when done and copy the cell down the column to the last row in the
worksheet if this is to be applied to multiple rows.
--
Kevin Backmann

"George" wrote:

I have a column where the entries are always going to be one of four or five
codes, for simplicy sake lets say it is A, B, C, D or E. How do I set it up
that if anything else but one of those letters is entered, the cell will not
accept it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try Data|Validation.

You can specify a list that will stop you from typing anything but things on
that list (as well as allowing you to clear the contents of the cell).

See Debra Dalgleish's site:
http://contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html

George wrote:

I have a column where the entries are always going to be one of four or five
codes, for simplicy sake lets say it is A, B, C, D or E. How do I set it up
that if anything else but one of those letters is entered, the cell will not
accept it.

--

Dave Peterson