Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default filtering data

i want to filter and count the data in 1 column

4 eg. i have 3 different data, i.e. A, B and C.

Total A+B+C = 10 entries.

A=3 entries, B=4, C=4.

how to generate this data using formula or filter?

many thx.

brie
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

No you cant do that in the way you think because "a=3" is a string of
characters and the formula would look for that literal string in the range of
cells.

If you post exactly what you are trying to do in evaluating the value of A
then I'm sure someone can help.

Mike

"Brie" wrote:

wow, thx Mike! it works!

do you know if i can put "A=3" instead of just the total count?

brie

"Mike H" wrote:

Try,

=COUNTIF(A1:A100,"A")

The "A" could be a cell reference where that cell contains what you are
trying to count.

=COUNTIF(A1:A100,B1)

Mike

"Brie" wrote:

i want to filter and count the data in 1 column

4 eg. i have 3 different data, i.e. A, B and C.

Total A+B+C = 10 entries.

A=3 entries, B=4, C=4.

how to generate this data using formula or filter?

many thx.

brie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

it's okay Mike.

i've tricked it by writing down the cell reference, in this case "A", in one
column and put the countif in another column.

it's quite adequate for my purpose anyway.

you've been a big help afterall.

brie

"Brie" wrote:

i want to filter and count the data in 1 column

4 eg. i have 3 different data, i.e. A, B and C.

Total A+B+C = 10 entries.

A=3 entries, B=4, C=4.

how to generate this data using formula or filter?

many thx.

brie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you're wanting the "A=3" together in one cell, you could use
=B1&"="&COUNTIF(A1:A100,B1) or ="A="&COUNTIF(A1:A100,"A") , but that would
produce a text output on which you couldn't perform further arithmetic.
If you do want to do further arithmetic based on the result, you could
format the cell in which you have the value 3, and use Format/ Cell/ Custom/
"A="0
--
David Biddulph

"Brie" wrote:

i want to filter and count the data in 1 column

4 eg. i have 3 different data, i.e. A, B and C.

Total A+B+C = 10 entries.

A=3 entries, B=4, C=4.

how to generate this data using formula or filter?

many thx.

brie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Filter Position

I would have liked to start a new thread but for some reason it's not letting
me - sorry if this causes problems for anyone

I have two different files with large volumes of data (40,000+ rows) which I
am analysing. In one when I have filtered on a column and then go to filter
the same column to a new value it defaults to the postion in the list which I
just used, in the other it defaults to the top of the list and I have to find
where I was up to again. Does someone know how I can switch between these
different default positions?