Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default ABS

How do I change the cells in a column to absolute values then add them up in
one formula or function?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe:-

=SUM(ABS(A1:A20))

enter with Ctrl+Shift+enter

Mike

"pcj101" wrote:

How do I change the cells in a column to absolute values then add them up in
one formula or function?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can't change the value in a cell using a formula.

But you can sum the absolute values of a range:
=SUMPRODUCT(ABS(A1:A10))
Adjust the range to match, but you can't use the whole column until xl2007.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Mike H" wrote:

Maybe:-

=SUM(ABS(A1:A20))

enter with Ctrl+Shift+enter

Mike

"pcj101" wrote:

How do I change the cells in a column to absolute values then add them up in
one formula or function?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

pcj101 wrote:

How do I change the cells in a column to absolute values then
add them up in
one formula or function?

--

Dave Peterson

I am somewhat puzzled! If I have 2000 random numbers both
positive and negative in column A, I can sum them with =SUM(A:A)
in say B2000.
=SUM(ABS(A:A)) in C2000 also works.

I am using Excel2000.

--
James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

James wrote on Thu, 18 Oct 2007 15:49:31 -0400:

JS "Dave Peterson" wrote in
JS message ...
?? You can't change the value in a cell using a formula.
??
?? But you can sum the absolute values of a range:
?? =SUMPRODUCT(ABS(A1:A10))
?? Adjust the range to match, but you can't use the whole
?? column until xl2007.
??
?? pcj101 wrote:
??
?? How do I change the cells in a column to absolute values
?? then add them up in one formula or function?
??
?? --
??
?? Dave Peterson

JS I am somewhat puzzled! If I have 2000 random numbers both
JS positive and negative in column A, I can sum them with
JS =SUM(A:A) in say B2000.
JS =SUM(ABS(A:A)) in C2000 also works.

JS I am using Excel2000.

I think I begin to see what is happening (lights flashing etc.)
:-) The program will accept =SUM(ABS(A:A)) but the value
produced is incorrect., unlike =SUM(A:A). I'd need a helper
column =ABS(a1) etc. to get the correct answer.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can use:
=sum(abs(a1:a10))
but only if you remember to use ctrl-shift-enter

Or you can use =sumproduct(abs(a1:a10)) with out array entering the formula.

pcj101 wrote:

How do I change the cells in a column to absolute values then
add them up in
one formula or function?

--

Dave Peterson

I am somewhat puzzled! If I have 2000 random numbers both
positive and negative in column A, I can sum them with =SUM(A:A)
in say B2000.
=SUM(ABS(A:A)) in C2000 also works.

I am using Excel2000.

--
James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Probably easier then a helper column is to simply remove one row:

=SUM(ABS(A1:A65535))

Array entered.

Unless, of course, if you're in XL07.

RD

"James Silverton" wrote in message
James wrote on Thu, 18 Oct 2007 15:49:31 -0400:

JS "Dave Peterson" wrote in
JS message ...
?? You can't change the value in a cell using a formula.
??
?? But you can sum the absolute values of a range:
?? =SUMPRODUCT(ABS(A1:A10))
?? Adjust the range to match, but you can't use the whole
?? column until xl2007.
??
?? pcj101 wrote:
??
?? How do I change the cells in a column to absolute values
?? then add them up in one formula or function?
??
?? --
??
?? Dave Peterson

JS I am somewhat puzzled! If I have 2000 random numbers both
JS positive and negative in column A, I can sum them with
JS =SUM(A:A) in say B2000.
JS =SUM(ABS(A:A)) in C2000 also works.

JS I am using Excel2000.

I think I begin to see what is happening (lights flashing etc.) :-) The
program will accept =SUM(ABS(A:A)) but the value produced is incorrect.,
unlike =SUM(A:A). I'd need a helper column =ABS(a1) etc. to get the
correct answer.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"RagDyer" wrote in message
Probably easier then a helper column is to simply remove one
row:

=SUM(ABS(A1:A65535))

Array entered.

Unless, of course, if you're in XL07.