Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Subtracting two cells-one has existing formula????

I have two cells that I need to subtract
First cell has entered number
Second cell number is result of existing formula which is =SUM (L1-J1)

How would this formula bet written?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Since you didn't specify, let's assume your first cell is A1 and your second
cell (containing the formula) is A2. Use this formula:

=A1-A2

Note: the use of the SUM function in your existing formula is redundant.
Just use =L1-J1.

HTH,
Elkar

"duethckey" wrote:

I have two cells that I need to subtract
First cell has entered number
Second cell number is result of existing formula which is =SUM (L1-J1)

How would this formula bet written?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Could the fact that this is an existing spreadhseet and I am just now adding
the formula be the problem?

Exisiting spreadsheet:

A1 is where I entered number
B1 used to be manually calculated and is where I am trying to write the
formula where excel calculates C1-B1 which I have written =(C1-B1)
C1 is the existing formula written as =SUM (A1:B1)

"duethckey" wrote in message
I have two cells that I need to subtract
First cell has entered number
Second cell number is result of existing formula which is =SUM (L1-J1)

How would this formula bet written?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

See answer in your second post.

You should stick with one thread for a single subject, so that people don't
duplicate their efforts, or don't have the benefits of your added
explanations.

RD