Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Parameter query question

I am trying to run a parameter query that will eventually use a cell for the
parameters. The problem I am running into is that the initial parameters
that I am using the query are not being accepted.

I have
FROM FIB_Request_Form FIB_Request_Form
WHERE (FIB_Request_Form."Create Date"=? And FIB_Request_Form."Create Date"<?)
Where the ? are coming up as prompts for Start Date and End Date.

The query works fine while I am in the Microsoft Query. But when I "return
data", I get an error message - Driver ] Parameter missing.

The parameters are not saved and I have to open Microsoft Query to change
them every time I want to run the query. When I use actual dates instead of
the prompts, it works fine.

Any help would be appreciated, Corrine
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try named parameters...something like this:

FROM FIB_Request_Form FIB_Request_Form
WHERE (FIB_Request_Form."Create Date"=[Date_1] And FIB_Request_Form."Create
Date"<[Date_2)

You'll be prompted for [Date_1] and [Date_2]

After the query runs properly, click the Return Data to Excel button.
On the popup window where you select the destination for the query data,
there is a [Parameters] button at the bottom.

Click the [Parameters] button
All parameters will be displayed
Select a parameter
Select "Get the value from the following cell"
Select the cell containing the parameter value
Repeat for each parameter

After completing the process, whenever you refresh the query, the values
from the parameter cells will be supplied to the SQL.

Thereafter, if you need to change the location of the parameter cells:
Right-click on the data table
Select: Parameters
That will open the Parameters window, where you will effect the changes.

Does that help?
Post back if you have more questions.
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"Corrine" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yikes.....Typo

I should have posted this:
FROM FIB_Request_Form FIB_Request_Form
WHERE (FIB_Request_Form."Create Date"=[Date_1] And FIB_Request_Form."Create
Date"<[Date_2])

Note the closing square bracket after Date_2.

Is that the problem?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"Corrine" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I had included the bracket but still get the same error. The query works
fine while I am in Microsoft Query but it just doesn't want to return the
values.

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Yikes.....Typo

I should have posted this: