Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default IF / AND formula

I have calculations that will give me an average score somewhere between 0
and 4 for a number of items. I'm trying to build a formula that says "if the
result is between 0 and 1", then write the word "poor" in the cell. If
between, 1 & 2 then "fair". If between 2 & 3, then "good". If between 3 &
4, then "excellent". I've tried variations of IF and AND formulas, but to no
avail. My results are either an "error" or only the 1st (poor) and last
(excellent) options, but not "fair" or "good".

Anyone familiar with IF / AND formulas for multiple variables?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

&
4, then "excellent". I've tried variations of IF and AND formulas, but to
no
avail. My results are either an "error" or only the 1st (poor) and last
(excellent) options, but not "fair" or "good".

Anyone familiar with IF / AND formulas for multiple variables?

Try
=IF(A13,"excellent",IF(A12,"good",IF(A11,"fair" ,"poor")))

You may need to use "=" rather than "" depending which word you want on
the boundaries.

Stephen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You don't say what is to happen if exactly 1, 2, 3 or 4 but try this.

=LOOKUP(B1,{0,1,2,3,4},{"poor","fair","good","exce llent","Over 4"})

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 08:36:01 -0700, UNCCNU
wrote:

I have calculations that will give me an average score somewhere between 0
and 4 for a number of items. I'm trying to build a formula that says "if the
result is between 0 and 1", then write the word "poor" in the cell. If
between, 1 & 2 then "fair". If between 2 & 3, then "good". If between 3 &
4, then "excellent". I've tried variations of IF and AND formulas, but to no
avail. My results are either an "error" or only the 1st (poor) and last
(excellent) options, but not "fair" or "good".

Anyone familiar with IF / AND formulas for multiple variables?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Your boundaries are overlapping!

Is "1" Poor or Fair?
Is "2" Fair or Good?
.... etc.

Will decimals be involved?

As a guess:

=IF(A13,"Excellent",IF(A12,"Good",IF(A11,"Fair" ,"Poor")))
--

HTH,

RD

"UNCCNU" wrote in message
I have calculations that will give me an average score somewhere between 0
and 4 for a number of items. I'm trying to build a formula that says "if
the
result is between 0 and 1", then write the word "poor" in the cell. If
between, 1 & 2 then "fair". If between 2 & 3, then "good". If between 3 &
4, then "excellent". I've tried variations of IF and AND formulas, but to
no
avail. My results are either an "error" or only the 1st (poor) and last
(excellent) options, but not "fair" or "good".

Anyone familiar with IF / AND formulas for multiple variables?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=VLOOKUP(A21{0,"poor";1,"fair";2,"good";3,"excelle nt";4.00001,"ERROR!"},2)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel