Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Data Validation to different worksheet

Excel 2003 functions no differently than 2002 with respect to using named ranges
from other sheets for a DV list source.

Check your range-naming method. Is the named range really called "ListName"?

In source sheet select the range and InsertNameDefine....give it a name

In Target sheet DVSource enter =myname

Make sure spelling is correct.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 11:13:01 -0700, ClaireView
wrote:

I have a Data Validation list. I want to populate my drop-down list from a
different worksheet. I named the range, and for Source for the validation
list I typed =ListName. I STILL get an error message that I can't refer to
other Worksheets or Workbooks.

It's driving me crazy because this worked before! We updated from Excel
2002 to Excel 2003, so maybe that's why I'm having this problem. If so, this
is hardly an improvement! Also, is anyone else finding Microsoft's "help"
documents less and less helpful?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks, Gord, I checked and re-checked everything, and there's no reason it
shouldn't work. Since you tell me there's no difference between 2002 and
2003 for Data Validation, I'll just work around it; I'll move my named range
to an area on the worksheet where my workers can't see it. It's frustrating,
though.

Thanks, Claire

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There is no difference between 2002 and 2003 in that respect.

You should not have to move your range to the active sheet.

You have something else going on that prevents you from using a named range from
another sheet.

Use either of the 2 free filehosts below to upload a sample of your actual
workbook.

(Desensitize it first, if needed). Then copy & paste the generated link to
your sample file in response he

http://www.flypicture.com/
http://cjoint.com/index.php

Gord