jerie

Default count or sum

how can I count all the occupied cells in the same column
if the cells contain text and numbers?
row 1 br1
row 2
row 3
row 4 cb2
row 5
row 6
row 7 df6
ect down to row 200.

the answer should be 3 (the number of cells occupied)

please help thanks

rgs jerie

Biff

Hi!

Will there be any enties that are only numbers? Is there
always only a single digit? Are the digits always the last
character? Will there be any entries that are all letters?

row 1 br1
row 2 101
row 3 k22
row 4 cb2
row 5 44s
row 6 xxx
row 7 df6

Biff

how can I count all the occupied cells in the same column
if the cells contain text and numbers?
row 1 br1
row 2
row 3
row 4 cb2
row 5
row 6
row 7 df6
ect down to row 200.

the answer should be 3 (the number of cells occupied)

please help thanks

rgs jerie

.

Jaya

jerie

=countif(a1:a200,"""") will return the number of cells containing text
=countif(a1:a200,"0") will return the number of cells containing +numeric

if you combine these two criteria with +, will return both text and +numeric

thanks....jaya

"jerie" wrote:

how can I count all the occupied cells in the same column
if the cells contain text and numbers?
row 1 br1
row 2
row 3
row 4 cb2
row 5
row 6
row 7 df6
ect down to row 200.

the answer should be 3 (the number of cells occupied)

please help thanks

rgs jerie

Myrna Larson

=COUNTA(A1:A10)

will return the count of cells with text or numbers, and also cells containing
error values and cells containing a formula that is returning a result of "".