Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel opening up without data

Hi,

Does anyone know why MS Excel would open up without the spreadsheet data in
the window?

Currently the only way the file can be opened is to go to File then to Open
& then having to double-click on the Excel file again. This method works to
open up the file.

But when the file is double-clicked on it opens up to a blank Excel window
with a dark background as though the file itself hasn't opened.

Any ideas?

thanks,

Marcus

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sometimes one of these works when you're having trouble with double clicking on
the file in windows explorer:

Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

--- or ---

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

factory defaults.

Maybe one of these will work for you.

Marcus wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know why MS Excel would open up without the spreadsheet data in
the window?

Currently the only way the file can be opened is to go to File then to Open
& then having to double-click on the Excel file again. This method works to
open up the file.

But when the file is double-clicked on it opens up to a blank Excel window
with a dark background as though the file itself hasn't opened.

Any ideas?

thanks,

Marcus

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the replies. I think the first suggestion here helped. When I did
open up Excel from the taskbar is came up at least with a blank sheet. Then I
ensured that the 'ignore other applications' was unchecked, by default it was
checked.

I'm not sure how this first started but the user showed me that the file was
located via a shortcut.

I had another issue with an Excel user as well & made some other
suggestions. Then he'd told me that if he'd opened up the Excel file under
someone elses username it came up ok. So basically I reset his Windows
profile & he was able to open up all his Excel files ok.