-   -   Excel automatically divides number by 100 (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/161914-excel-automatically-divides-number-100-a.html)

Ravi Budhia

Excel automatically divides number by 100

Hi,

I am having a problem with Excel. Whenever I enter a number in a cell, excel
divides it by 100 and then stores it. So when I enter 12 for example, then
the number is stored as 0.12. A 100 is stored as 1. So seems like there is
some setting which is causing this. However, I am not able to figure out what.

Also, when I enter "=sum(100, 12)" in a cell, the number is stored correctly
as 112. Also, if the value is stored as text and then converted to a number,
the number is shown correctly.

I am using Excel 2003 SP2, on Windows XP Professional, and have the Solver
addin installed. This has started happening in the last couple of weeks.

Please help!

Thanks,

Ravi Budhia

Kevin B

Excel automatically divides number by 100

Click TOOLS, select OPTIONS and then click the EDIT tab. Remove the check
from the FIXED DECIMALS PLACES checkbox to solve the problem.
--
Kevin Backmann

"Ravi Budhia" wrote:

Hi,

I am having a problem with Excel. Whenever I enter a number in a cell, excel
divides it by 100 and then stores it. So when I enter 12 for example, then
the number is stored as 0.12. A 100 is stored as 1. So seems like there is
some setting which is causing this. However, I am not able to figure out what.

Also, when I enter "=sum(100, 12)" in a cell, the number is stored correctly
as 112. Also, if the value is stored as text and then converted to a number,
the number is shown correctly.

I am using Excel 2003 SP2, on Windows XP Professional, and have the Solver
addin installed. This has started happening in the last couple of weeks.

Please help!

Thanks,

Ravi Budhia

David Biddulph[_2_]

Excel automatically divides number by 100

Tools/ Options/ Edit
Uncheck: Fixed decimal places
--
David Biddulph

"Ravi Budhia" <Ravi wrote in message

[...]

Ravi Budhia[_2_]

Excel automatically divides number by 100

Thanks Kevin! That fixed the problem!

Ravi