Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can I sort or filter or delete by strike-through?

What version of excel are you using?
Is this in a single column?
Is the formatting for the whole cell--or for just some characters in that cell?
Do you have any errors like #N/A or #value! in that range?

If you're using xl2002+
And if you don't have any errors in that column and the whole cell is formatted
as strike through, you can use this technique.

Select the column with the strikeouts.
Edit|replace
Click the Options button if you don't see the Formatting options
Click the Format button for the "Find What" box.
On the Font tab, click the striketrhough box
(and don't specify any other conditions)
Click ok.
Put this in the "replace with" box:
=na()
Replace all

All of the cells that are formatted as strikethrough will be changed to formulas
that return #N/A.

With that column still selected
Edit|goto|Special|Formulas
Uncheck Numbers, Text, Logicals. Keep Errors checked.
Click ok.
Edit|Delete|Entire row.

========
If you're aren't running xl2002+, or you have cells that are have some
characters formatted as strikethrough (and some not), or you have formulas that
return errors in that range, then this won't work.

========
An option is to use a macro that looks at the range and deletes the row based on
formatting.

But it would help if you could add a few details (what column/columns, whole
cell is formatted or not) to get code that would work the first time.

Annie1904 wrote:

I've got a huge database in Excel, and many of the records have had text
formatted with a strike-trhough. Initially, this was so I could track what
had been 'deleted', but now I want to remove those records. Rather than go
through them individually, is there a quicker way?

--

Dave Peterson