-   -   Vista, Onecare. It takes 5 minutes to open a file. Too long. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/161700-vista-onecare-takes-5-minutes-open-file-too-long.html)

hoop4100

Vista, Onecare. It takes 5 minutes to open a file. Too long.

How can I speed up opening Excel files. I never have this problem on my XP
computer. I'm not sure if it is beause of Vista or Onecare. But I do see
running virrus scan in the lower left hand part of the screen.

Bob I

Vista, Onecare. It takes 5 minutes to open a file. Too long.

Disable the virus scan.

hoop4100 wrote:

How can I speed up opening Excel files. I never have this problem on my XP
computer. I'm not sure if it is beause of Vista or Onecare. But I do see
running virrus scan in the lower left hand part of the screen.

hoop4100

Vista, Onecare. It takes 5 minutes to open a file. Too long.

I tried dissabeling the onecare virus scan. That doesen't work. I added the
files I use to an exemption list. And I lowered the security level inside
Excel to low. Nothing works.

"Bob I" wrote:

Disable the virus scan.

hoop4100 wrote:

How can I speed up opening Excel files. I never have this problem on my XP
computer. I'm not sure if it is beause of Vista or Onecare. But I do see
running virrus scan in the lower left hand part of the screen.

Bob I

Vista, Onecare. It takes 5 minutes to open a file. Too long.

5 minutes is a long time. is the "virus scan" still being performed
during file open?

hoop4100 wrote:

I tried dissabeling the onecare virus scan. That doesen't work. I added the
files I use to an exemption list. And I lowered the security level inside
Excel to low. Nothing works.

"Bob I" wrote:

Disable the virus scan.

hoop4100 wrote:

How can I speed up opening Excel files. I never have this problem on my XP
computer. I'm not sure if it is beause of Vista or Onecare. But I do see
running virrus scan in the lower left hand part of the screen.

hoop4100

Vista, Onecare. It takes 5 minutes to open a file. Too long.

Yes. from my desktop whin i click to open the excel file i use everyday the
excel page opens except where the cells normally are the screen is blank or
waiting. At the bottom in the left had column there is a status "runing
virus scan" and the blue ring of death circles for about 5 minutes and then
the file is finally visable.

hoop4100 wrote:

I tried dissabeling the onecare virus scan. That doesen't work. I added the
files I use to an exemption list. And I lowered the security level inside
Excel to low. Nothing works.

"Bob I" wrote:

Disable the virus scan.

hoop4100 wrote:

How can I speed up opening Excel files. I never have this problem on my XP
computer. I'm not sure if it is beause of Vista or Onecare. But I do see
running virrus scan in the lower left hand part of the screen.

Bob I

Vista, Onecare. It takes 5 minutes to open a file. Too long.

Figure out where to kill that "virus scan" business, and you should be
home free. There is a "OneCare" forum out there.

hoop4100 wrote:

I tried dissabeling the onecare virus scan. That doesen't work. I added the
files I use to an exemption list. And I lowered the security level inside
Excel to low. Nothing works.

"Bob I" wrote:

Disable the virus scan.