No Spam Please

Default Why can't I type in a date?

Something has always bugged me about Excel.

If I type in a date, the width of the cell ALWAYS has to be wide enough to
display the entire date; otherwise, it'll give me the "#####".

If, say, I'm typing in today's date in A1, and there's nothing in B1, why
won't it just bleed the text over to the adjoining cell?

This happens regardless if I'm hardcoding a date, or if I do a formula like
"+today()"

Any way around this? Sometimes, I WANT to keep that particular cell a
certain size.

Thanks.
Frank Kabel

Hi
no way around this. As a date is a numeric value Excel just can't write
it over the cell border!

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"No Spam Please" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Something has always bugged me about Excel.

If I type in a date, the width of the cell ALWAYS has to be wide

enough to
display the entire date; otherwise, it'll give me the "#####".

If, say, I'm typing in today's date in A1, and there's nothing in B1,

why
won't it just bleed the text over to the adjoining cell?

This happens regardless if I'm hardcoding a date, or if I do a

formula like
"+today()"

Any way around this? Sometimes, I WANT to keep that particular cell

certain size.

Thanks.

Alec Hull

The only option may be to combine the cell with the cell to its right, if
it's available. You can either merge the two cells or use the "center across
selection" option (both in cell formatting). You may have to monkey with the
justification options though.

"No Spam Please" wrote:

Something has always bugged me about Excel.

If I type in a date, the width of the cell ALWAYS has to be wide enough to
display the entire date; otherwise, it'll give me the "#####".

If, say, I'm typing in today's date in A1, and there's nothing in B1, why
won't it just bleed the text over to the adjoining cell?

This happens regardless if I'm hardcoding a date, or if I do a formula like
"+today()"

Any way around this? Sometimes, I WANT to keep that particular cell a
certain size.

Thanks.

Dave Peterson

You can format the cell to shrink the font so the text fits.

Format|cells|alignment tab|check "shrink to fit"

(or just use the largest font that fits with the longest date.)