Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel creating TMP with each save but not deleting on close

The subject says it all really... am using Excel 2003 SP2. On each
save, I get a fresh TMP file which, on my now retired workstation
(same setup) were deleted on close:

Xmas lunch.xls
Xmas lunch.xls~RF1783b6.TMP
Xmas lunch.xls~RF21684e.TMP
Xmas lunch.xls~RF22d4bf.TMP
Xmas lunch.xls~RF397407d.TMP

Have Googled but found no answer.

And the anti-virus software we're using (Norman) is set up on this PC
in the same way as my old workstation, so suspect AV behaviour not the
answer.

Thanks for any pointers.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't think they're caused by excel.

Saved from a previous post--Your file names look close to the AVG suggestion:
==========

If those .tmp files look like: ...\VB*.tmp

I searched google again for "\vb" and .tmp and got a few hits.

One of them:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mic...1eecaad1c774cc
or
http://snipurl.com/1339g

One person posted that they saw files that had names like: ~RF26c83af.TMP.

It was caused by AVG.

You can read her description in this thread:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mic...cd4eed0638e395

or
http://snipurl.com/jyus

A while ago, someone posted back that uninstalling something called "Panda
ClientShield" fixed a similar problem.

Even if you're not running "Panda ClientShield", you could try disabling this
program to see if the problem goes away.

--

Dave Peterson