Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel changing my numbers

I have a spreadsheet with a string of numbers in one column, once the numbers
get past a certain point they will either do (4.11248E+15) this or they will
round to the nearest number. It is imperative that I have these numbers
exactly the way that I put them in. Can someone help me asap???

Thanks!!
Liela

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The numbers are so large they're displayed in scientific notation. You can
format the column as a text format and the numbers will be treated as text,
or if you prefer you can use an apostrophe prefix to convert the numeric
value to a text string ala Lotus 1-2-3.

--
Kevin Backmann

"Liela" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with a string of numbers in one column, once the numbers
get past a certain point they will either do (4.11248E+15) this or they will
round to the nearest number. It is imperative that I have these numbers
exactly the way that I put them in. Can someone help me asap???

Thanks!!
Liela

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You have to format the cells as text *before* you put the data into the
cell.

As Kevin told you, you can convert the numeric value to a text string as you
type it in by preceding it with an apostrophe.
--
David Biddulph