Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default What's hidden?

I have a spreadsheet with a dozen wide columns.
I have occassion to hide columns so I can fit what I want to see on a
screen. However, sometimes I need to see a hidden column and I don't
recall which one it was. I don't want to have to unhide everything so
I can locate that column.
Is there a trick to seeing the column headings without having to
unhide them? or is there an easy toggle between hide and unhide? -
Mike
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't know if this will help or not, but if you had 10 contiguous columns
hidden, say F to O, and you only wanted to unhide K,

Hit <F5,
Type k1, hit <Enter, then:
<Format <Column <Unhide

If you wanted to unhide only K and L,
Type k:l

If you wanted to unhide only H, J, and M
Type h1,j1,m1

--
HTH,

RD

"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet with a dozen wide columns.
I have occassion to hide columns so I can fit what I want to see on a
screen. However, sometimes I need to see a hidden column and I don't
recall which one it was. I don't want to have to unhide everything so
I can locate that column.
Is there a trick to seeing the column headings without having to
unhide them? or is there an easy toggle between hide and unhide? -
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't know how you can unhide one specific column if you don't know which
one it is. But, if you want to try a guess, say you think it's column G:

-Press F5, type G1 and Enter.
-Press Ctrl-Shift-0 (zero, on top row of keyboard) to unhide.
-To hide, press Ctrl-0.

--
Jim
"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message
|I have a spreadsheet with a dozen wide columns.
| I have occassion to hide columns so I can fit what I want to see on a
| screen. However, sometimes I need to see a hidden column and I don't
| recall which one it was. I don't want to have to unhide everything so
| I can locate that column.
| Is there a trick to seeing the column headings without having to
| unhide them? or is there an easy toggle between hide and unhide? -
| Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The column headers should give you a clue.

A B C E F G would indicate that D is hidden.

To unhide D select C and E and right-clckunhide.

If you had D E F hidden and wanted to unhide just E then click in namebox and
type E1 and Enter then FormatColumnUnhide

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 15:03:35 -0400, Michael Horowitz wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with a dozen wide columns.
I have occassion to hide columns so I can fit what I want to see on a
screen. However, sometimes I need to see a hidden column and I don't
recall which one it was. I don't want to have to unhide everything so
I can locate that column.
Is there a trick to seeing the column headings without having to
unhide them? or is there an easy toggle between hide and unhide? -
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Let me restate:
I'm showing coumns A B H I J.
I know C D E F G are hidden, but I don't know their names.
I cannot find the one I'm looking for unless I unhide those columns.
I'm looking for a quick way to remind me what those columns headers
are - Mike

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 12:50:50 -0700, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca
wrote:

The column headers should give you a clue.

A B C E F G would indicate that D is hidden.

To unhide D select C and E and right-clckunhide.

If you had D E F hidden and wanted to unhide just E then click in namebox and
type E1 and Enter then FormatColumnUnhide

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 15:03:35 -0400, Michael Horowitz wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with a dozen wide columns.
I have occassion to hide columns so I can fit what I want to see on a
screen. However, sometimes I need to see a hidden column and I don't
recall which one it was. I don't want to have to unhide everything so
I can locate that column.
Is there a trick to seeing the column headings without having to
unhide them? or is there an easy toggle between hide and unhide? -
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There's no way to just unhide a column header.
However, you can enter the header names in a list in an out-of-the-way
location, say AA1 to AA5:
C - Gross
D - Tare
E - Net
.... etc.

Then, select those 5 cells and click in the name box.
Type a short name, say
List
Then hit <Enter.

Now, to remind yourself, click in the name box, and click on "List",
And you'll see your header names.
--

wrote:

I have a spreadsheet with a dozen wide columns.
I have occassion to hide columns so I can fit what I want to see on a
screen. However, sometimes I need to see a hidden column and I don't
recall which one it was. I don't want to have to unhide everything so
I can locate that column.
Is there a trick to seeing the column headings without having to
unhide them? or is there an easy toggle between hide and unhide? -
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This would be much better in a UserForm with a multiselect listbox,
but this gets the job done.

Copy and paste all of this into a new module. Then run the unhideCols
sub.
Sub unhideCols()
Dim lCol As Integer, msg As String
Dim varInput As String, i As Integer
lCol = Cells.Find(what:="*", After:=[A1], _
SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, _
SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Column
msg = ""
For i = 1 To lCol
If Columns(i).Hidden = True Then
msg = msg & "Column " & ColumnLetter(i) & _
" -- " & Cells(1, i).Text & Chr(10)
End If
Next i
If msg = "" Then
MsgBox "No columns hidden"
Exit Sub
End If
varInput = InputBox(msg & Chr(10) & Chr(10) & _
"To unhide all columns, enter 'ALL'", _
"Enter the column letter you wish to unhide")
If varInput = "" Then Exit Sub
On Error Resume Next
If UCase(varInput) = "ALL" Then
Columns.Hidden = False
Else
Cells(i, varInput).EntireColumn.Hidden = False

Function ColumnLetter(ColumnNumber As Integer) As String
If ColumnNumber 26 Then
ColumnLetter = Chr(Int((ColumnNumber - 1) / 26) + 64) & _
Chr(((ColumnNumber - 1) Mod 26) + 65)
Else
ColumnLetter = Chr(ColumnNumber + 64)
End If