Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Dropdown lists

I have 4 dropdown lists in Excel.

How do I limit the options in dd-list 2,3 and 4

In column A, I choose between e.g. Nokia and Sone-Ericsson- I choose Nokia
In column B, I only want Nokias models e.g. E65, N95 etc. etc.
Etc.
Etc.

Can anyone tell me how to limit the choices ??

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sounds like Debra Dalgleish's instructions on creating Dependent Lists using
Data Validation might work.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 11:36:00 -0700, Grandt
wrote:

I have 4 dropdown lists in Excel.

How do I limit the options in dd-list 2,3 and 4

In column A, I choose between e.g. Nokia and Sone-Ericsson- I choose Nokia
In column B, I only want Nokias models e.g. E65, N95 etc. etc.
Etc.
Etc.

Can anyone tell me how to limit the choices ??

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Grandt
If you have only one dd-list dependent on one other dd-list, you can do
that with a formula. See http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html
However, you have 4 dd-lists, each of which is dependent on the
selections made in all the lists before it. This can be done but only with
VBA. You would have to draw out a logic tree clearly showing the path to
every list you have before anyone can help you with the code. I recommend
that you start by naming every list you have, then use those names in your
logic tree.
For instance, you have a list of Nokia, Sony, etc. Name that list.
Pick a name that means something to you.
Then, if the user picks Nokia, you want the next DV cell to display a
Nokia-specific list. Name that list.
Then if the user clicks on E65, you want the next DV cell to display a
list for E65. Name that list.
And so on.
As you can see, you will have many lists. Post back with more
information. HTH Otto