Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excell /office 2003 Data Sorting

-I am trying to sort according to month - I have split the date - m/d/yr -
into 3 separate columns - I can sort to day and year - but with month I get
august appearing between november and december ...??? and can't get it to
follow september ...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

So, you've got the names of the months in your month column? I suggest
you use another column with numbers to represent the months (1 = Jan,
2 = Feb etc) and then sort on that. You can hide the column if you
prefer to see month names.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Oct 9, 6:01 am, tigere wrote:
-I am trying to sort according to month - I have split the date - m/d/yr -
into 3 separate columns - I can sort to day and year - but with month I get
august appearing between november and december ...??? and can't get it to
follow september ...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Pete - thank you - worked ... however I dont understand why the row should
not sort on its own value - in the sort options the full typed month is
illustrated ...???
AND - the day and year columns will not resond to positional formatting .. ie
center/center - they both are left oriented and will NOT move - don't
understand
Thanks again
Tigere

On Oct 9, 6:01 am, tigere wrote:
-I am trying to sort according to month - I have split the date - m/d/yr -
into 3 separate columns - I can sort to day and year - but with month I get
august appearing between november and december ...??? and can't get it to
follow september ...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In article , ?B?dGlnZXJl?= wrote:
-I am trying to sort according to month - I have split the date - m/d/yr -
into 3 separate columns - I can sort to day and year - but with month I get
august appearing between november and december ...??? and can't get it to
follow september ...

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to do here (as I would expect
august before september and can't think how it would end up between
november and december :) ) but in general, there is an option to use a
'custom list' for sorting. Check out the help file for how to set this up
and see it once you have.

That said, if you choose data/sort/options then click on the drop down box
showing 'normal', you could find that your requirements have been
anticipated. :)

Enjoy.