Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Problem with transpose function

Hi All

I've always been a passive user of this pages which have provided me a
solution to all my excel problems just browsing through these pages.
For the first time it hasn' worked so posting my problem here.

On using the following function excel crashes. Can someone figure out
why:

=TRANSPOSE(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(row($A$1:$B$5),COLUMN( $A$1:$B
$5),,,"Sheet1")))

I'm writing the formula on Sheet2. The formula works fine when being
used on Sheet1.

It goes without saying that I will owe a huge debt of gratitude to
anyone who can shed some light on this.

Ajitpal

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It crashed on me too (either sheet) using Excel 2002. Don't know why.

But, this formula will do the same thing and doesn't crash (array entered):

=TRANSPOSE(Sheet1!A1:B5)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi All

I've always been a passive user of this pages which have provided me a
solution to all my excel problems just browsing through these pages.
For the first time it hasn' worked so posting my problem here.

On using the following function excel crashes. Can someone figure out
why:

=TRANSPOSE(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(row($A$1:$B$5),COLUMN( $A$1:$B
$5),,,"Sheet1")))

I'm writing the formula on Sheet2. The formula works fine when being
used on Sheet1.

It goes without saying that I will owe a huge debt of gratitude to
anyone who can shed some light on this.

Ajitpal

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

wrote in message

ups.com...

Hi All

I've always been a passive user of this pages which have provided me a
solution to all my excel problems just browsing through these pages.
For the first time it hasn' worked so posting my problem here.

On using the following function excel crashes. Can someone figure out
why:

=TRANSPOSE(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(row($A$1:$B$5),COLUMN( $A$1:$B
$5),,,"Sheet1")))

I'm writing the formula on Sheet2. The formula works fine when being
used on Sheet1.

It goes without saying that I will owe a huge debt of gratitude to
anyone who can shed some light on this.

Ajitpal- Hide quoted text -

Hi
Thanks for the prompt response. You Idea will work but I have a
specific need to provide the input to Transpose as I do. I construct
the range that Transpose needs to look at in another cell not by
direct reference to the range as you suggest.

Ajitpal

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Using indirect with other functions like lookup in array formulas can also
cause crashes. It seems Excel does not convert references to numbers/text
inside arrays like this by default so they need to be "Dereferenced". This
can be done using N(INDIRECT(...)) or T(INDIRECT(...) inside the Transpose
function depending on the type of data.

" wrote:

Hi All

I've always been a passive user of this pages which have provided me a
solution to all my excel problems just browsing through these pages.
For the first time it hasn' worked so posting my problem here.

On using the following function excel crashes. Can someone figure out
why:

=TRANSPOSE(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(row($A$1:$B$5),COLUMN( $A$1:$B
$5),,,"Sheet1")))

I'm writing the formula on Sheet2. The formula works fine when being
used on Sheet1.

It goes without saying that I will owe a huge debt of gratitude to
anyone who can shed some light on this.

Ajitpal

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

" wrote:
Hi All

I've always been a passive user of this pages which have provided me a
solution to all my excel problems just browsing through these pages.
For the first time it hasn' worked so posting my problem here.

On using the following function excel crashes. Can someone figure out
why:

=TRANSPOSE(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(row($A$1:$B$5),COLUMN( $A$1:$B
$5),,,"Sheet1")))

I'm writing the formula on Sheet2. The formula works fine when being
used on Sheet1.

It goes without saying that I will owe a huge debt of gratitude to
anyone who can shed some light on this.

Ajitpal- Hide quoted text -

Hi Lori

A great suggestion. Thank you very much for taking out time for this.
What I actually need from Indirect is the referencing which I would be
using as an input to the get.cell function (in defined names ofcourse)
to return the Cell shading (par exemple) for an array and use it as an
array formula. I picked up the idea from a post on cpearson.com
(address : http://www.cpearson.com/excel/Call.htm)

It would be great to be able to understand why does only Transpose
have this property and not another function.

Again thank you very much.

Ajit