Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I make a column not allow new data for monthly report?

I count items that come in. I would like to know if there any way I can make
the past columns (months) write protected, so I can't accidently enter data
in those columns?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

you can write a macro that will protect all cells that contain value every
time you hit enter key...

"Municorn1977" wrote:

I count items that come in. I would like to know if there any way I can make
the past columns (months) write protected, so I can't accidently enter data
in those columns?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Oct 6, 7:32 am, Municorn1977
wrote:
I count items that come in. I would like to know if there any way I can make
the past columns (months) write protected, so I can't accidently enter data
in those columns?

Select the whole sheet then go Format|Cells|Protection|Deselect the
Locked option|OK.

To select the whole sheet click on the blank box above the Row 1 label
and to the left of the Column A label.
If Row and Column labels are not visible then select A1 hold down both
Shift and Ctrl keys while sequentially pressing the Right Arrow key
then the Down Arrow key.

Select the cells you don't want to accidentally change then go Format|
Cells|Protection|Select the Locked option|OK.
Apply sheet protection by going Tools|Protection...|Protect Sheet|OK.

When you need to increase (or decrease) the range of cells to be
protected against accidental change...

Go Tools|Protection|Unprotect sheet first, then select the range of
cells that are to be included in the protected range (or removed from
the protected range), then go Format|Cells|Protection|Select the
Locked option (or deselect the Locked option)|OK, then reapply sheet
protection by going Tools|Protection|Protect Sheet...|OK.

Ken Johnson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

thanks Ken that did just what I wanted it to do

"Ken Johnson" wrote:

On Oct 6, 7:32 am, Municorn1977
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Oct 7, 10:03 am, Municorn1977
wrote:
thanks Ken that did just what I wanted it to do

"Ken Johnson" wrote:
On Oct 6, 7:32 am, Municorn1977
wrote:
[...]

You're welcome, thanks for the feedback.

Ken Johnson