Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Something like Vlookup

Hello again (world),
I have list that I need to return a value in a different spread sheet.
A2 is the person I need to locate and then return the data/valued in cells
B2, C2, D2 ect. (list is a lot longer and with other names). The spread sheet
will have 5 tabs with 5 different names. I want to do some kind of VLookup or
other function to run down the list and retune in sequential order. Any
thoughts?

Respoble GL Date Payment Method Batch Name
Betsy 4-Oct-07 900 Credit Card 2MLCLSAMEX100107
Betsy 4-Oct-07 900 Credit Card 1MLCLSAMEX100107
Betsy 3-Oct-07 900 Credit Card 1MLCLSPTCH100107
Betsy 2-Oct-07 900 Credit Card 1MLCLSPTCH092607A
David 4-Oct-07 031 Check 2MLCLSAMEX100108
David 4-Oct-07 032 Check 1MLCLSAMEX100127
David 3-Oct-07 031 Check 1MLCLSPTCH100807
Davd 2-Oct-07 033 Check 1MLCLSPTCH092625

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JNW JNW is offline

I guess what I am saying is, there is no need to create the five sheets to
separate data. Filtering allows you to sort and view how you would like in
order to analyze data then it can be put back. It is generally an easier
solution, it uses up less space, and it is harder to mess up.

I may be misunderstanding what you are looking for, but when you start
replicating data it makes things hard.
--
JNW

"pgarcia" wrote:

Hello again (world),
I have list that I need to return a value in a different spread sheet.
A2 is the person I need to locate and then return the data/valued in cells
B2, C2, D2 ect. (list is a lot longer and with other names). The spread sheet
will have 5 tabs with 5 different names. I want to do some kind of VLookup or
other function to run down the list and retune in sequential order. Any
thoughts?

Respoble GL Date Payment Method Batch Name
Betsy 4-Oct-07 900 Credit Card 2MLCLSAMEX100107
Betsy 4-Oct-07 900 Credit Card 1MLCLSAMEX100107
Betsy 3-Oct-07 900 Credit Card 1MLCLSPTCH100107
Betsy 2-Oct-07 900 Credit Card 1MLCLSPTCH092607A
David 4-Oct-07 031 Check 2MLCLSAMEX100108
David 4-Oct-07 032 Check 1MLCLSAMEX100127
David 3-Oct-07 031 Check 1MLCLSPTCH100807
Davd 2-Oct-07 033 Check 1MLCLSPTCH092625

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

a different idea:

use pivot table. create a povottable how you want. put the person's name
selection in the page field. copy the pivto table to 5 tabs. select a
different name in each tab.

--
Allllen

"pgarcia" wrote:

Hello again (world),
I have list that I need to return a value in a different spread sheet.
A2 is the person I need to locate and then return the data/valued in cells
B2, C2, D2 ect. (list is a lot longer and with other names). The spread sheet
will have 5 tabs with 5 different names. I want to do some kind of VLookup or
other function to run down the list and retune in sequential order. Any
thoughts?

Respoble GL Date Payment Method Batch Name
Betsy 4-Oct-07 900 Credit Card 2MLCLSAMEX100107
Betsy 4-Oct-07 900 Credit Card 1MLCLSAMEX100107
Betsy 3-Oct-07 900 Credit Card 1MLCLSPTCH100107
Betsy 2-Oct-07 900 Credit Card 1MLCLSPTCH092607A
David 4-Oct-07 031 Check 2MLCLSAMEX100108
David 4-Oct-07 032 Check 1MLCLSAMEX100127
David 3-Oct-07 031 Check 1MLCLSPTCH100807
Davd 2-Oct-07 033 Check 1MLCLSPTCH092625

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for your reply, but that's not what I was looking for. These tabs will
be for individual person and now, I give them a list of data they need to
work on. I want to create one spread sheet, 5 tabs, 1 tab being the "input"
data tab and have the other tabs pickup the information for the individual
persons. I tried doing a Vlookup and it working for the first tab first
person, but when I when to the 2nd tab 2nd person, the Vlookup did not return
the correct information. I pick the right person off the list but it was
duplicating the data instead of just listing the it in chronological order.
I don't want to sound lazy, I do now the filter list and cut and paste, but
I just wanted to do the process faster.

Thanks

"pgarcia" wrote:

Hello again (world),
I have list that I need to return a value in a different spread sheet.
A2 is the person I need to locate and then return the data/valued in cells
B2, C2, D2 ect. (list is a lot longer and with other names). The spread sheet
will have 5 tabs with 5 different names. I want to do some kind of VLookup or
other function to run down the list and retune in sequential order. Any
thoughts?

Respoble GL Date Payment Method Batch Name
Betsy 4-Oct-07 900 Credit Card 2MLCLSAMEX100107
Betsy 4-Oct-07 900 Credit Card 1MLCLSAMEX100107
Betsy 3-Oct-07 900 Credit Card 1MLCLSPTCH100107
Betsy 2-Oct-07 900 Credit Card 1MLCLSPTCH092607A
David 4-Oct-07 031 Check 2MLCLSAMEX100108
David 4-Oct-07 032 Check 1MLCLSAMEX100127
David 3-Oct-07 031 Check 1MLCLSPTCH100807
Davd 2-Oct-07 033 Check 1MLCLSPTCH092625

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

ok but it is a good solution and not too hard to learn

otherwise you need visual basic. that makes the spreadsheet more
complicated that using a pivot table

--
Allllen