Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formatting

I am building a form with a bunch of drop down (validation lists) windows. In
some instances, an answer such an "Other" requires more info. How do I change
the background color and lower border in one cell based on the content of
another cell.

If the additional info is not required, I want the cells to the right of the
first answer to appear as the normal backgorund, but if there is additional
info required, I want the cell to be lt blue with a lower border so they have
a place to type in an answer...eg

What Hospital ? _________ (the cell with the lower border is blue and is
permanent)

What Hospital ? "Other" ______________

When the "Other" choice is accepted from the drop down menu, an additional
cell is given a lower border and the light blue background

Any help on this would certainly be appreciated.

Samm

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Assuming Other is what triggers the formatting, select the cell where the
answer would go, go to Format-Conditional Formatting-change first dropdown
to formula is then type = click the cell it is checking, then type ="other"
then hit the format button, middle tab is Border, select the underline
border, then on the pattern tab you can select the color. Hope that gets you
there.
--
-John
is helpful.