Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Add text to a column based on text in a different column

I have a long column of 4 character letters that I would like to replace in
another column with 3 characters eg AAA1 to AAA. Is there any type of if
statement?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In the column that will have the three character version type:

=LEFT(A1,3)

Changing A1 to reflect the first cell that your using in the source column.

To convert the results to values, select the entire column of LEFT function
values, press <Ctrl+C to copy the data. Then click EDIT in the menu and
select PASTE SPECIAL and click the VALUES option button. Click OK to
complete the paste command.
--
Kevin Backmann

"Rick@Draper" wrote:

I have a long column of 4 character letters that I would like to replace in
another column with 3 characters eg AAA1 to AAA. Is there any type of if
statement?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe...
=left(a1,3)
to take just the leftmost 3 characters.

Rick@Draper wrote:

I have a long column of 4 character letters that I would like to replace in
another column with 3 characters eg AAA1 to AAA. Is there any type of if
statement?

--

Dave Peterson