Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Prevent bypassing security by copy/pasting to new workbook

I have a spreadsheet that is secured in many ways, including open password,
modify password, worksheet protect, workbook protect. This is mainly to
prevent users from seeing and copying the formulas used. However, if someone
opens the spreadsheet in 'read only' mode, then they can highlight the entire
worksheet and paste it into a new workbook, and in the new workbook it is
wide open. The hidden rows are displayed, the formulas are available for
viewing and copying, etc.
How can I secure a workbook so that this loophole is closed? Any help is
much appreciated!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

No matter how hard you try you will inevitably conclude that the only way to
make a workbook secure is to keep it to yourself. Even the most elaborate of
workbook protection schemes can be defeated with relative ease.

Mike

"Alex31005" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that is secured in many ways, including open password,
modify password, worksheet protect, workbook protect. This is mainly to
prevent users from seeing and copying the formulas used. However, if someone
opens the spreadsheet in 'read only' mode, then they can highlight the entire
worksheet and paste it into a new workbook, and in the new workbook it is
wide open. The hidden rows are displayed, the formulas are available for
viewing and copying, etc.
How can I secure a workbook so that this loophole is closed? Any help is
much appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the rapid reply. You confirmed what was my fear all along. Oh
well, maybe someday there'll be an actual security solution that holds water.

Regards,
Alex