Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default vlookup

I have two spreadsheets, I want to be able to look at names in one column on
mainframe worksheet match it to the name on the emp spreadsheet and bring
back the user name. I was doing a vlooup, but the problem I am having is
that the names on one spreadsheet is the full name and on the other
spreadsheet it is just last and first, so my vlookup is bringing back the
first one it finds. Is there a way to work around this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

You can use make a new leftmost helper column on your LookupTable and
Concatenate the names together to be in the same format as on your first
sheet....

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Pammy" wrote:

I have two spreadsheets, I want to be able to look at names in one column on
mainframe worksheet match it to the name on the emp spreadsheet and bring
back the user name. I was doing a vlooup, but the problem I am having is
that the names on one spreadsheet is the full name and on the other
spreadsheet it is just last and first, so my vlookup is bringing back the
first one it finds. Is there a way to work around this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

Nope, not without some human intervention to make the adjustments. For these
and other reasons, is why Employee Numbers are used for doing things like
this.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGzx3

"Pammy" wrote:

I have two spreadsheets, I want to be able to look at names in one column on
mainframe worksheet match it to the name on the emp spreadsheet and bring
back the user name. I was doing a vlooup, but the problem I am having is
that the names on one spreadsheet is the full name and on the other
spreadsheet it is just last and first, so my vlookup is bringing back the
first one it finds. Is there a way to work around this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Or to NOT find Patterson, Joe

Sub findpat()
what = ",*pat"

With Range("i1:i500")
Set c = .Find(what, LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlPart)
If Not c Is Nothing Then
firstAddress = c.Address
Do
c.Offset(, 2) = 3
Set c = .FindNext(c)
Loop While Not c Is Nothing And c.Address < firstAddress
End If
End With

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Don Guillett" wrote in message
Sub findpat()
With Range("i1:i500")
Set c = .Find("pat", LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlPart)
If Not c Is Nothing Then
firstAddress = c.Address
Do

c.Offset(, 2) = 3'or whatever you want