Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Disable save

Hi,

I have a worksheet that people are using about 3 times a week. The
worksheet has a macro and it creates other csv files and edits some other
worksheets.

Here is the issue - I want to prevent people from making changes to the
worksheet - because if their changes get saved we would have to go back and
figure out how to fix it.

One solution is to just save a backup and replace the worksheet every week
with the backup.

We cant protect the sheet (at least I think that wont work) because to use
it you have to make changes to the cells in the worksheet.

I though we could turn the "save" feature off so that no one can overwrite
the worksheet by saving changes that mess things up?

Any thoughts would be really helpful!

Thanks for you help on this.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
try something like this....
Cancel = True
MsgBox ("saving this file is fobidden!")
Workbooks("yourfile.XLS").Close SaveChanges:=False
End Sub

"Jeff" wrote:

Hi,

I have a worksheet that people are using about 3 times a week. The
worksheet has a macro and it creates other csv files and edits some other
worksheets.

Here is the issue - I want to prevent people from making changes to the
worksheet - because if their changes get saved we would have to go back and
figure out how to fix it.

One solution is to just save a backup and replace the worksheet every week
with the backup.

We cant protect the sheet (at least I think that wont work) because to use
it you have to make changes to the cells in the worksheet.

I though we could turn the "save" feature off so that no one can overwrite
the worksheet by saving changes that mess things up?

Any thoughts would be really helpful!

Thanks for you help on this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I would think that you should put the workbook file in a network folder
where users do not have rights to save a file (no 'write rights').

--
Jim