Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Sumif formula that uses "contains" rather than "equals"

I am trying to create a sumif formula that adds the values in one column for
the cells in another column that contain the text string "outlet".

The cells in the range will not simply say "outlet", they may say "men's
outlet", or "summer outlet" and a large number of other variations. The
common text string in "outlet", so I can't use a formula that simply adds up
cells that equal "outlet", but rather ones that contain "outlet" within them.

Is there any way to do this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try something like this:

=SUMPRODUCT(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("outlet",A2:A10))*B2:B 10)

Adjust the range references to suit your situation.

Is that something you can work with?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

"jerrymcm" wrote in message
I am trying to create a sumif formula that adds the values in one column
for
the cells in another column that contain the text string "outlet".

The cells in the range will not simply say "outlet", they may say "men's
outlet", or "summer outlet" and a large number of other variations. The
common text string in "outlet", so I can't use a formula that simply adds
up
cells that equal "outlet", but rather ones that contain "outlet" within
them.

Is there any way to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

See Example 9 at this link: http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.....html#examples

(Towards the bottom of the page.)

Dave

On Oct 2, 11:42 am, jerrymcm
wrote:
I am trying to create a sumif formula that adds the values in one column for
the cells in another column that contain the text string "outlet".

The cells in the range will not simply say "outlet", they may say "men's
outlet", or "summer outlet" and a large number of other variations. The
common text string in "outlet", so I can't use a formula that simply adds up
cells that equal "outlet", but rather ones that contain "outlet" within them.

Is there any way to do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=sumif(a:a,"*outlet*",b:b)
or