Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel File Size

I have a large Excel file with maybe 9 worksheets. It is 4,361KB and there
is no way it should be that large. I have systematically deleted worksheets
and the file remains the same size. Is there some trick to getting Excel to
reduce the file size? Any thoughts appreciated. Thank you.
--
James D. Sheehan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

See Debra Dalgleish's site for info on large file size and methods to reduce.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlfaqApp.html#Unused

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 09:19:02 -0700, James D. Sheehan
wrote:

I have a large Excel file with maybe 9 worksheets. It is 4,361KB and there
is no way it should be that large. I have systematically deleted worksheets
and the file remains the same size. Is there some trick to getting Excel to
reduce the file size? Any thoughts appreciated. Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm having the same problem as the OP and have already tried the method
included in that FAQ.

Digging around some more on the internet, I found that someone suggested to
"always save in the latest and greatest file format". Since I'm using
Excel2007 in an office where most users are still using 2003, I have been
saving in the .xls format. I gave it a shot in the .xlsx format and the file
size was reduced from 28MB to 6MB. For a workbook that really doesn't have
that much data, it's still too big, but its a significant improvement.

I'm wondering though if there are any other workarounds aside from saving in
that file format that isn't compatible with a large part of my office.