Josh O.

Default Lookup and Sort Question

I am trying to make a spreadsheet with a customer list that pulls a customer
number and name from another spreadsheet and places them alphabetically (with
corresponding customer number) onto the spreadsheet I am using.

Is there a way to do this?
Frank Kabel

Hi
use Data Validation together with VLOOKUP. See:

Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

"Josh O." schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I am trying to make a spreadsheet with a customer list that pulls a

customer
number and name from another spreadsheet and places them

alphabetically (with
corresponding customer number) onto the spreadsheet I am using.

Is there a way to do this?

Josh O.

Frank,
Forgive me, I don't see how that will help put the list in alphabetical
order. I am not familiar at all with the data validation, and only a little
with the vlookup. I have used the lookup function alot.

Can you offer me detail as to how the two functions may help?

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

Hi
use Data Validation together with VLOOKUP. See:

Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

"Josh O." schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I am trying to make a spreadsheet with a customer list that pulls a

customer
number and name from another spreadsheet and places them

alphabetically (with
corresponding customer number) onto the spreadsheet I am using.

Is there a way to do this?

Frank Kabel

Hi Josh
sorry for my misunderstanding. Just a question: You want to do this
with formulas?. Why not use Excel's sort feature?

--

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

Hi
use Data Validation together with VLOOKUP. See:

Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

"Josh O." schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I am trying to make a spreadsheet with a customer list that pulls

customer
number and name from another spreadsheet and places them

alphabetically (with
corresponding customer number) onto the spreadsheet I am using.

Is there a way to do this?

Josh O.

My final objective is to set up a spreadsheet that I can just open and print
without having to format and move around. I am trying to fit 200 to 300
customers onto one sheet of paper as a reference list.

If I do everything in one column, I don't have any way to fit it onto on
shee that is readable. Let me know what you think.

For Example:
Customer Number | Customer Name | Customer Number | Customer Name ...
847300001 | Customer 1 | 847300100 |
Customer 100
847300002 | Customer 2 | 847300101 |
Customer 101
847300003 | Customer 3 | 847300102 |
Customer 102
....and so on.

If you have any other ideas how to handle this, let me know.

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

Hi
use Data Validation together with VLOOKUP. See:

Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

"Josh O." schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I am trying to make a spreadsheet with a customer list that pulls

customer
number and name from another spreadsheet and places them
alphabetically (with
corresponding customer number) onto the spreadsheet I am using.

Is there a way to do this?

Frank Kabel

Hi
and how does your source data look like?

You may have a look at:
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/snakecol.htm