Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default See a number, read a date

If I type the number (that's number) 20070919 into a cell, the majority of
the english speaking world will recognise instantly that it also represents a
date. What is the quickest and easiest way of persuading Excel to do the same
thing?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

if the value is in A1 then in another cell:

=DATE(LEFT(A1,4),MID(A1,5,2),RIGHT(A1,2))

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200747

"Lionel H" wrote:

If I type the number (that's number) 20070919 into a cell, the majority of
the english speaking world will recognise instantly that it also represents a
date. What is the quickest and easiest way of persuading Excel to do the same
thing?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Or without using another cell try selecting the number and:0

Data|Text to columns

keep click next until you get to a screen with 'Column data format'
Select date and in the dropdown YMD
Click finish

Mike