jenkinspat

Default Opening a file with code without a set file name

Your such a sweet heart THANK YOU.
You actualy jogged my memory and made me think of another
option. I'm gonna try
ApplicationFindFile so they can select the 1 they need.

As far as your code i have use for it in my new program im making. Man
there is much to learn. Nothing like putting the puzzle together hu. i
love it and you for the help you gave....... XOXO
Thank you,
Pj

JulieD Wrote:
Hi

how about something like

dim fname as string

fname = inputbox("What is the name of the file?")-

Sheets("stby").Select
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
ChDir "C:\Pt23 Spread"
Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\Pt23 Spread\" & fname & ".xls"-
'rest of your code
------
Cheers
JulieD

"jenkinspat" wrote in
message
. ..-

Sorry for lack of details.

Im using simple Excel code in a Module here's what im using.

-----
Sub ExtractLatData()
'
'

Sheets("stby").Select
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
ChDir "C:\Pt23 Spread"
Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\Pt23 Spread\sensor.xls"
Sheets("RSR Summary").Select
Rows("1:14").Select
Selection.Delete Shift:=xlUp
Columns("A:A").Select
Selection.Delete Shift:=xlToLeft
Columns("A:L").Select
Selection.Copy
Application.DisplayAlerts = False

ActiveWindow.Close
Sheets("RSR Report Data (Errors)").Select
Range("A1").Select
ActiveSheet.Paste
Range("A1").Select
ActiveWorkbook.Save
Sheets("Control").Select
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
MsgBox " Finished, Exit EXCEL and open the ACCESS file to view
Report "
End Sub
-------
The sensor file name is named different every day and the user has to
change the name before running the code. Of course half of them
forget
to. The file contents of the file are the same except the changes for
the test data so it just the (set) name im trying to make easier.
Or maby a code that will change the name for them, maby. ;)

Thank you,
Pat

JulieD Wrote:-
Hi

it would probably help if we could see the code, if you'ld like to
copy
&
paste it (or at least the bit where the file name is referenced) in a
reply
this would give us a starting point ...
and also to know where you run the code from - is it stored in
personal
and
run via tools / macro / macros in the newly created workbook or ??

Cheers
JulieD

"jenkinspat"
wrote in
message
. ..-

Hi all and thanks in advance for any help.

I have excel workbooks that are produced on a daily bases by another
program. The data layout is the same for each day produced except for
the file name. What im having to do now is rename the file every day
and then run my other code to clean it up and import the data into my
new workbook.
The code that i use works great but would like to be able to fix it
so
it doesn't matter what the file name is, so that others won't have to
remember to change the name before they run the cleanup code. Any
ideas.
Thanks, Pat

--
jenkinspat--