Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Why doesn't this work??

when I type in one cell 1 and the the cell below it 2 then highlight both
and drag the corner the next cell will be then 4 then 5 and so on BUT

when I have cells that have this

pimage_379.jpg
pimage_380.jpg

and I do the same thing, highlight both and drag the corners the next cells
keep going like this why?

pimage_379.jpg
pimage_380.jpg
pimage_379.jpg
pimage_380.jpg

I want it to be like this
pimage_379.jpg
pimage_380.jpg
pimage_381.jpg
pimage_382.jpg

I appreciate any help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It does not work because Excel is not smart enough to recognize your data as
a series, But we are smart enough to make a series. Enter this in a cell
and copy down:

="pimage_" & ROWS($A$1:A379) & ".jpg"

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu2007

"Just Me" wrote:

when I type in one cell 1 and the the cell below it 2 then highlight both
and drag the corner the next cell will be then 4 then 5 and so on BUT

when I have cells that have this

pimage_379.jpg
pimage_380.jpg

and I do the same thing, highlight both and drag the corners the next cells
keep going like this why?

pimage_379.jpg
pimage_380.jpg
pimage_379.jpg
pimage_380.jpg

I want it to be like this
pimage_379.jpg
pimage_380.jpg
pimage_381.jpg
pimage_382.jpg

I appreciate any help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks that worked great for me !!! I have the same problem with the
following
pimage_374_000000001.jpg
pimage_375_000000001.jpg
pimage_376_000000001.jpg
pimage_378_000000001.jpg

I tried to alter what you gave me by doing this

="pimage_" & ROWS($A$1:A379) & "_000000001.jpg"

But this doesn't work for me.

Could you please tell me why that doesn't work also??

Thanks

"Just Me" wrote:

when I type in one cell 1 and the the cell below it 2 then highlight both
and drag the corner the next cell will be then 4 then 5 and so on BUT

when I have cells that have this

pimage_379.jpg
pimage_380.jpg

and I do the same thing, highlight both and drag the corners the next
cells
keep going like this why?

pimage_379.jpg
pimage_380.jpg
pimage_379.jpg
pimage_380.jpg

I want it to be like this
pimage_379.jpg
pimage_380.jpg
pimage_381.jpg
pimage_382.jpg

I appreciate any help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Your alteration was very close. We need to fix the A379 in the formula as
well as add the trailing material:

="pimage_" & ROWS($A$1:A374) & "_000000001.jpg"

The ROWS function gives us a way to make a column of values. We can make
the column anywhere on the worksheet and have it start with any value. Let's
say we want a column of data starting in cell B9 and we want the values to
begin with 15. In B9 enter:

=ROWS($A$1:A15) and copy down.

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu2007