Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how do I change a date 1/13/2007 to 1/2007

I would like to convert a column of dates to be just month and year
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use custom format m/yy, you cannot convert them since they would no longer
be dates but text
but you can change the display

Peo Sjoblom

"charlie" wrote in message
I would like to convert a column of dates to be just month and year

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select the column of dates, click FORMAT and select CELL. Click the NUMBER
tab if necessary and in the CATEGORY list box, select CUSTOM and in the type
field create the following format code:

m/yyyy

Click OK to format the selected range
--
Kevin Backmann

I would like to convert a column of dates to be just month and year

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select the range of cells in question
Goto the menu FormatCellsNumber tab
Select Custom
In the little box under Type, enter:
m/yyyy
OK

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"charlie" wrote in message
I would like to convert a column of dates to be just month and year

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well, you could use a helper column that returns a TEXT string.

A1 = 1/13/2007

=TEXT(A1,"m/yyyy")

Returns: 1/2007 as a TEXT string. This is not a numeric date and can cause
problems if you try to use it as a date in other calculations.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"charlie" wrote in message
I would like to convert a column of dates to be just month and year

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you
I want it to be only the month and year in the field when I'm done so the
day is entirely gone.

"charlie" wrote in message
I would like to convert a column of dates to be just month and year

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can't remove the day from a date in Excel. When you enter 1/13/2007 it
is converted to 39095 (you can see this by changing the format to a number).
Since dates are stored this way, you can't remove the day portion. If you
enter 1/2007, the cell may display something like Jan-07, but the value of
the cell is still 39083 (or 1/1/2007).

What are you trying to do with the dates that changing the format will not
work for you?