Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Validation length, Range length

Can anybody tell me the limits on the number of rows available for a
validation list and limit to the number of rows and columns in a range?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think the limit is the size of the sheet you are working on (65,532
rows and 256 columns in Excel 2003 and before). However, with a
validation list it would take a long time to scroll through to select
the item you want if you have such a big range - could you not
organize the data (eg alphabetically) and make use of dependent data
validation? Debra Dalgleish shows how he

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Sep 15, 12:08 am, I think I need to rephrase the question
osoft.com wrote:
Can anybody tell me the limits on the number of rows available for a
validation list and limit to the number of rows and columns in a range?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A data validation list can contain up to 32,767 items.

and limit to the number of rows and columns in a range?

If you mean the size of a referenced range there is no limit (although there
are some limits imposed by certain functions and formula usage).

See this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/166342

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"I think I need to rephrase the question"
osoft.com wrote in
message ...
Can anybody tell me the limits on the number of rows available for a
validation list and limit to the number of rows and columns in a range?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're welcome!

--
Biff