Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formula that just gets the first few numbers in a cell, not all?

I know there's a function or formula in Excel that allows you to just look at
the first or last few numbers in a particular cell. Ex.I need my if then
formula to just look at the first 5 numbers in a cell (the zip code) and
ignore the -3645 behind the zip code. help?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=left(a1, 5)

There is also right and mid to manipulate text. Note that these functions
return text, so if you need to get the numbe rback youwill need to use the
value funtion...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"KenCanuck" wrote:

I know there's a function or formula in Excel that allows you to just look at
the first or last few numbers in a particular cell. Ex.I need my if then
formula to just look at the first 5 numbers in a cell (the zip code) and
ignore the -3645 behind the zip code. help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=LEFT(A1,5)
or
=MID(A1,1,5)
two formula above are return text value not real Excel value. To covert text
value to real Excel value you can use one of these formula.
=--LEFT(A1,5)
=LEFT(A1,5)+0
=LEFT(A1,5)*1
=LEFT(A1,5)^1