Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can you disable "File - Save As"?

I have a file that numerous people will be using, and I would like to keep it
as just one version. Is it possible to allow users to save their updates, but
not to Save As another name?

I have some macros in the file, and am protecting most of the sheets through
VBA, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance,

Alan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You might be able to stop the users from doing a SaveAs, but I bet any
suggestion would involve macros and/or events. And macros and events can be
disabled and that suggestion wouldn't work.

And you'd still have to stop the users from opening windows explorer and just
copying it to a new location.

In my experience, it becomes a training issue. If the users are opening an out
of date workbook or different workbook, then make sure management knows who the
culprits are.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
No Name

I agree with what Dave says in that what you seek is a slippery slope and
can get very complicated quickly, and still end up being defeated.

That being said, you could hardcode the full filename and disable
functionality or do whatever you need to do if the file has been renamed or
moved.