Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Tree organization in excel

Hello, i have a project to do and i need to filter the data just like windows
explorer does. I mean i want to have a plus sign next to a cell that when i
click on it infromation will pop down. Basically i have different assemblies
and each assemby has different componets so i want to be able to have a
configuration just like windows explorer.

Thanks, i would appreciate the help this project is important.
--
Francisco Kuljevan
Engineering Intern
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Have you thought about using the outlining feature of Excel? It lets you
group your information on different levels and automatically provides the
"+"/"-" buttons you're looking for. Look in the "Data" menu, under "Group
and Outline". Also check out the help topics on the subject. Seems a
perfect way to list all the sub-components of a part under the main part
heading. And since you can have many outline levels, you can break
sub-components down into their parts, etc.

Eric

"Francisco" wrote:

Hello, i have a project to do and i need to filter the data just like windows
explorer does. I mean i want to have a plus sign next to a cell that when i
click on it infromation will pop down. Basically i have different assemblies
and each assemby has different componets so i want to be able to have a
configuration just like windows explorer.

Thanks, i would appreciate the help this project is important.
--
Francisco Kuljevan
Engineering Intern

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hey thanks Eric i will try that. I ll let you know how it went
--
Francisco Kuljevan
Engineering Intern

"Francisco" wrote:

Hello, i have a project to do and i need to filter the data just like windows
explorer does. I mean i want to have a plus sign next to a cell that when i
click on it infromation will pop down. Basically i have different assemblies
and each assemby has different componets so i want to be able to have a
configuration just like windows explorer.

Thanks, i would appreciate the help this project is important.
--
Francisco Kuljevan
Engineering Intern

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hey Eric, can you write on the summary colum where the +/- signs appear?
--
Francisco Kuljevan
Engineering Intern

"Francisco" wrote:

Hello, i have a project to do and i need to filter the data just like windows
explorer does. I mean i want to have a plus sign next to a cell that when i
click on it infromation will pop down. Basically i have different assemblies
and each assemby has different componets so i want to be able to have a
configuration just like windows explorer.

Thanks, i would appreciate the help this project is important.
--
Francisco Kuljevan
Engineering Intern

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No, that's not actually a column. It's just used to display the outline
symbols. If you want to "write" something next to the symbols, maybe you can
reserve the first column of the worksheet for that purpose.

Eric

"Francisco" wrote:

Hello, i have a project to do and i need to filter the data just like windows
explorer does. I mean i want to have a plus sign next to a cell that when i
click on it infromation will pop down. Basically i have different assemblies
and each assemby has different componets so i want to be able to have a
configuration just like windows explorer.

Thanks, i would appreciate the help this project is important.
--
Francisco Kuljevan
Engineering Intern

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Another suggestion, to go along with the outlining:

Either use separate columns for each level of the outline to more clearly
show sub-components (i.e. Column A is for major assemblies, Column B is for
the major sub-components of that assy, Column C is for the parts of that
sub-component, etc), or use the indention feature of Excel to indent cells
that have the sub-components in them. That will also give your outline the
"look and feel" of Windows Explorer by making the difference between the
assemblies and the sub-components more visual.

And keep in mind that you can group columns as well as rows...

Eric
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Eric, yes i have figured out how it will work for me. Thanks for all
your help.
--
Francisco Kuljevan
Engineering Intern