Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Fill

Hello -

I have downloaded a file that has multiple sales data in columns. The
problem is that the customer name is not filled in every cell (only the first
cell). The file contains many customers, how do fill in those blank cells
with the customer name adjacent until the next customer name appears? I
would like to resort the file by other columns but it will not make sense
until all those cells are filled in (too many for a copy paste or fill
option).

Any ideas?
--
Troy
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Make a copy of the workbook and then select the column that has your
customer names. Press F5 and click the SPECIAL command button. In the list
of Go To Special Options, click BLANKS and click the OK command button.

Assuming the the first row has a customer name, type and = sign and press
the up arrow key on the cursor pad and press ENTER. All the blank cells are
now referencing the cell directly above.

Now select all the customer names and press Ctrl + C to copy the list, click
EDIT in the menu and select PASTE SPECIAL, and click the VALUES option
button. Click OK to complete.

The formulas have now been replaced by their respective amounts.

--
Kevin Backmann

"Troy" wrote:

Hello -

I have downloaded a file that has multiple sales data in columns. The
problem is that the customer name is not filled in every cell (only the first
cell). The file contains many customers, how do fill in those blank cells
with the customer name adjacent until the next customer name appears? I
would like to resort the file by other columns but it will not make sense
until all those cells are filled in (too many for a copy paste or fill
option).

Any ideas?
--
Troy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I left out a very important keystroke. After typing the = sign and pressing
the up arrow key, press Ctrl + Enter to place the formula in all the selected
blank cells.

Sorry, I've been up too long today...
--
Kevin Backmann

"Troy" wrote:

Hello -

I have downloaded a file that has multiple sales data in columns. The
problem is that the customer name is not filled in every cell (only the first
cell). The file contains many customers, how do fill in those blank cells
with the customer name adjacent until the next customer name appears? I
would like to resort the file by other columns but it will not make sense
until all those cells are filled in (too many for a copy paste or fill
option).

Any ideas?
--
Troy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well everything work well until the "press Ctrl + Enter to place the formula
in all the selected blank cells" - sounds like what I need but did not work.
All it really did was filled in the cell that I was entering the formula
into. How do you put it in all the blank selected cells.
--
Troy

"Troy" wrote:

Hello -

I have downloaded a file that has multiple sales data in columns. The
problem is that the customer name is not filled in every cell (only the first
cell). The file contains many customers, how do fill in those blank cells
with the customer name adjacent until the next customer name appears? I
would like to resort the file by other columns but it will not make sense
until all those cells are filled in (too many for a copy paste or fill
option).

Any ideas?
--
Troy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It sounds like you lost your selected cells before pressing Ctrl + Enter.

Starting one cell below the first customer, select the entire column of
customers.

Press F5, clicke the SPECIAL command button, click the BLANKS option button
and then click OK.

Using only your keyboard, type the "=" sign and press the up arrow key one
time. While holding down the CTRL key, press ENTER.
--
Kevin Backmann