Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default If forumula for 4 conditions

I have a long list of CST scores for our students and would like to run an If
formula to recognize if a students score is far below basic, basic, or
advanced.

Im thinking the formula would look like this and I need it for the scores
listed below.
Column B Column C
2 350 (if B2300 but b2<350 write Basic)

Basic is 300 to 350
Below Basic 250-300
Far Below Basic 250
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this:
=LOOKUP(B2,{0,250,300},{"Far Below ","Below ",""}&"Basic")

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

(XL2003, Win XP)

"Charles Tippie" wrote in message
I have a long list of CST scores for our students and would like to run an
If
formula to recognize if a students score is far below basic, basic, or
advanced.

Im thinking the formula would look like this and I need it for the scores
listed below.
Column B Column C
2 350 (if B2300 but b2<350 write Basic)

Basic is 300 to 350
Below Basic 250-300
Far Below Basic 250

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It would be easier if you did a lookup table instead, where your table would
look like the following

A B
0 Far Below Basic
250 Below Basic
301 Basic

If the student list was on sheet 1 in column A and the lookup table in Sheet
2, columns A1:B3 the vlookup would look like the following:

=VLOOKUP(a1,Sheet2!$A$1:Sheet2!$B$3,2)

Where A1 is the student score
Sheet2!$A$1:Sheet2!$B$3 is location of the lookup table
2 is the column that contains the value you want returned

--
Kevin Backmann

"Charles Tippie" wrote:

I have a long list of CST scores for our students and would like to run an If
formula to recognize if a students score is far below basic, basic, or
advanced.

Im thinking the formula would look like this and I need it for the scores
listed below.
Column B Column C
2 350 (if B2300 but b2<350 write Basic)

Basic is 300 to 350
Below Basic 250-300
Far Below Basic 250

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try:
=IF(B2<250,"Far Below Basic",IF(B2<301,"Below
Basic",IF(B2<351,"Basic","Advanced")))

Each false is another if statment. Excel limits you to seven nested if
statements

"Charles Tippie" wrote:

I have a long list of CST scores for our students and would like to run an If
formula to recognize if a students score is far below basic, basic, or
advanced.

Im thinking the formula would look like this and I need it for the scores
listed below.
Column B Column C
2 350 (if B2300 but b2<350 write Basic)

Basic is 300 to 350
Below Basic 250-300
Far Below Basic 250

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Another option to the IF() formula would be to set up a conditional format
that would change colors in the cell or font to make it more visible. This
would allow you to keep the score and color code three levels. Just goto
format/conditional formating.