Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel save prompt

I have created an Excel file which asks for a save prompt without any changes
having been made in the file.

I am using the =MID text formula in the file - is this volatile?

To my knowledge I am not using any other formulae which are volatile.

The only other reason I can think is that I have multiplecombo boxes which
have list fill ranges, linked cells and Private Sub macros on change.

--
R Ormerod
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

All of the built-in functions in Excel are volatile, unless you've set recalc
to manual. So any number of cells could be updated based upon the input and
the resulting updates.
--
Kevin Backmann

"R Ormerod" wrote:

I have created an Excel file which asks for a save prompt without any changes
having been made in the file.

I am using the =MID text formula in the file - is this volatile?

To my knowledge I am not using any other formulae which are volatile.

The only other reason I can think is that I have multiplecombo boxes which
have list fill ranges, linked cells and Private Sub macros on change.

--
R Ormerod

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Not true.

Here's a list of volatile Excel functions

RAND
NOW
TODAY
OFFSET
CELL
INDIRECT
INFO

The OP's problem is not the MID function, if he has a combobox that is
enough to be prompted to save

Peo Sjoblom

"R Ormerod" wrote:

I have created an Excel file which asks for a save prompt without any
changes
having been made in the file.

I am using the =MID text formula in the file - is this volatile?

To my knowledge I am not using any other formulae which are volatile.

The only other reason I can think is that I have multiplecombo boxes
which
have list fill ranges, linked cells and Private Sub macros on change.

--
R Ormerod

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

See my answer, he is wrong. MID is not a volatile function. A combobox will
cause this to happen

Peo Sjoblom

"R Ormerod" wrote in message
Is the MID function built in?

--
R Ormerod

"R Ormerod" wrote:

I have created an Excel file which asks for a save prompt without any
changes
having been made in the file.

I am using the =MID text formula in the file - is this volatile?

To my knowledge I am not using any other formulae which are volatile.

The only other reason I can think is that I have multiplecombo boxes
which
have list fill ranges, linked cells and Private Sub macros on change.

--
R Ormerod

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The mid function is a built in function of excel.

By my definition, a volatile formula is any formula that updates dynamically
as data changes. So based upon your layout and formulas, there could be any
number of updates performed based upon a value change.
--
Kevin Backmann

"R Ormerod" wrote:

Is the MID function built in?

--
R Ormerod

"R Ormerod" wrote:

I have created an Excel file which asks for a save prompt without any changes
having been made in the file.

I am using the =MID text formula in the file - is this volatile?

To my knowledge I am not using any other formulae which are volatile.

The only other reason I can think is that I have multiplecombo boxes which
have list fill ranges, linked cells and Private Sub macros on change.

--
R Ormerod

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

All, or nearly all, formulas are volatile by your definiation. In
Excel, volatile functions are those which force a recalculation
without any data entry.

The OP stated that no changes were made.

Mark Lincoln

On Sep 10, 11:08 am, Kevin B
wrote:
The mid function is a built in function of excel.

By my definition, a volatile formula is any formula that updates dynamically
as data changes. So based upon your layout and formulas, there could be any
number of updates performed based upon a value change.
--
Kevin Backmann

"R Ormerod" wrote:
Is the MID function built in?

--
R Ormerod

"R Ormerod" wrote:

I have created an Excel file which asks for a save prompt without any changes
having been made in the file.

I am using the =MID text formula in the file - is this volatile?

To my knowledge I am not using any other formulae which are volatile.

The only other reason I can think is that I have multiplecombo boxes which
have list fill ranges, linked cells and Private Sub macros on change.

--
R Ormerod- Hide quoted text -