Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Advice - Excel 2003 Compatibility

I need to rewrite an old Lotus 123 spreadsheet to Excel. I have 2 PCs, one
with Excel 2000 and the other with Excel 2002. I've never worked with Excel
2003, but all of the stores using the spreadsheet have 2003 and that's what
the rewrite needs to be done in. Unfortunately, we're not very consistent
here so everybody has something different. Keeps you on your toes! So,
without further adieu, here are my questions:
1. I've had a problem in the past running 2002 & 2000 on the same PC. Will
2003 run on the same PC as either 2002 or 2000 without causing problems?
2. If, as I suspect, I cannot run 2003 with another Excel version, can I
get rid of 2000 and still support all the spreadsheets done in that version?
3. Is the VB code a lot different in 2003 or will I be able to adjust
fairly easily?
Thanks for any words of wisdom; I don't have 2003 yet to work with, but have
started the rewrite and do not want to proceed if I'm going to get slapped
around.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Cottage6

There is only a little difference between 2000 and 2003. The best advise is
always to develop in the oldest version as most things, even if they are
dropped from later versions will be supported for some time after.

After that advice, which you will get over and over here, you CAN load all
versions of Excel on a machine. Load them oldest version first and work
toward newest. There will be some issues with which version a double-clicked
file opens, help and stuff, but generally they co-exist well. I know many
MVPs have V5 - 2007 on the same machine.

If in doubt, you could always get Vitual PC and run it in that, but that is
memory hungry.

All that said, if it were me, I would develop in XL2000

--

HTH
Nick Hodge

"cottage6" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Nick,
Thanks so much for your quick and much needed advice. When I ran into a
problem between 2000 and 2002 it involved some code using pivot tables that
another developer had created in 2002 that was not available in 2000. At
this point I don't think I need to do anything too creative, so I'll take
your advice and go with 2000 which is where I've started the rewrite to begin
with. Thanks again and have a great day!