Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default copying cells with similar text

I am creating a spreadsheet for a fantasy sport that will allow me to look at
the order that I think players are ranked compared to their average draft
position. However, I have one spreadsheet that has all my player rankings
and another that lists their average draft position(ADP). Since the order of
players differs from their ADP it will take forever to insert each ADP for
each player manually. Is their a formula I can use? Here is an example:
Spreadsheet 1 Spreadsheet 2
(Ranking of players) (Average Draft Position)
Name (B) ADP (C) Name (B) ADP (C)
Player 1 ? Player 8 1.01
Player 2 ? Player 3 1.02
Player 3 ? Player 15 1.03
Player 4 ? Player 1 1.04
Player 5 ? Player 2 1.05

Is there a formula that I can type in SPreadsheet 1, Cell C1 that will Look
in Spreadsheet 2, Column 'B' for a name that matches the name in Cell B1 in
Spreadsheet 1? Then copy the information from Cell C1 in Spreadsheet 2 into
Cell C1 in Spreadsheet 1. Sorry for any confusion, but I would greatly
appreciate any help.
FYI - Spreadsheet 1 is my master sheet and I wasn't able to find a site that
provided both statistical performance and ADP on the same chart. Otherwise I
would have just used the sort command.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Since LOOKUP() requires the ADPs to be in a sorted list (sorted by name in
this case), VLOOKUP() is the better approach:

=VLOOKUP(B1,Spreadsheet2!B2:C100,2,0)

"Riptide" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well I tried both options and all I get is #N/A. Perhaps the problem is that
when I say spreadsheet I actually referring to the sheets along the bottom.
Sorry for this because I am sure it changes the formula. this is what I
tried, modified in order to match the cells in my file:
=VLOOKUP(A2,ADP!A2:B216,2,0)

Column 'A' contains the players name both in the 'combine' sheet and the
'ADP' sheet, coulmn 'B' in the 'ADP' sheet lists the ADP which needs to be
copied into column 'F' of the 'combine' sheet. Again sorry for the
confusion, I wish there was a way to post it as it would certainly help out
more.

"Riptide" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The spreadsheet/tabs concern is not the problem.

I suspect you do not have identical names in each list. Ignore the quotes
below - they are intended to clearly indicate the comparison strings

"Manning, Peyton" will NOT MATCH "Peyton Manning" will NOT MATCH "P. Manning"

Likewise, a cell that contains "Peyton Manning " will NOT MATCH "Peyton
Manning"

So, once you have the names sync'ed up, the formula will work.