Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default how do I link to another sheet in workbook?

I'm trying to link to another sheet in the same workbook. The sheet is the
master cost sheet with prices. I want to create a linked copy of the same
sheet on another sheet so I can delete the prices. When I try paste link, the
link comes in with 00000 in all the blank cells of the master cost sheet. It
also comes in unformatted and without the same row heights or column widths.
I found I can paste special and paste column widths (but not row heights!) or
I can paste the entire page and delete all the contents to get the lines and
row/column info before pasting the link. Is there an easier way to make an
exact copy of the linked sheet?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Right click the sheet tab of the sheet you want to copy, select "move or
copy", then select create a copy. It won't be a link but an exact duplicate,
formats and all

Peo Sjoblom

"Pmsrefugee" wrote in message
I'm trying to link to another sheet in the same workbook. The sheet is the
master cost sheet with prices. I want to create a linked copy of the same
sheet on another sheet so I can delete the prices. When I try paste link,
the
link comes in with 00000 in all the blank cells of the master cost sheet.
It
also comes in unformatted and without the same row heights or column
widths.
I found I can paste special and paste column widths (but not row heights!)
or
I can paste the entire page and delete all the contents to get the lines
and
row/column info before pasting the link. Is there an easier way to make an
exact copy of the linked sheet?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That got all the formatting and heights/widths over, but I still need a
"link" so any changes made to the master are made to this sheet too. I found
that if after I did the move/copy with the sheet tab I then did a copy -
paste link then the data successfully became linked and didn't give me the
00000 in the blank cells.
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction! I never could have figured
this out.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

what exactly did you copy when you did the copy -paste link?
I cannot get this to work at all.
I really need to link 2 workbooks without all the 00000.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

First, I create an identical sheet using move or copy . . . by right clicking
on the sheet tab and copying the sheet to a new sheet. Then, I select the
data I want to link in sheet1 and select copy. Then I go to sheet2 and place
my cursor in the top or top/left cell of the selected data (don't choose all
the data, only a single cell). Right click and choose paste special. At the
bottom left you will see button to paste link. Any changes made in sheet1
will also be made in sheet2.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am trying to link data in the same way. THis works fine when I type in new
data on worksheet A it transfers to sheet B.
But when I drag or cut and paste a cell from somewhere on Sheet A into the
linked cell on sheet A I get a #ref error message on the linked cell on
sheet B.
Any thoughts?

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Cutting or dragging transfers the cell, not the contents.

So the reference is no longer valid.

Use this in the the SheetB cell

=INDIRECT("SheetA!A1")

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks. That works if I enter it for each cell.
I am trying to populate a large number of cells.
Paste special is not functioning in the normal way.
Ie if I am trying to get sheet 2 A1 = what I have on Sheet 1 A1 I usually
use paste special "formula" to populate Sheet 2 A2 to = Sheet 1 A2

When I use paste special formula with the Indirect reference it ends up
making
Sheet 2 A2 = Sheet 1 A1

Any thoughts?

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=INDIRECT("SheetA!A" & ROW()) copied down column A of SheetB

Gord

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi
I would like to create a master worksheet from several (12 to be exact)
worksheets in a work book so that if i make changes in the master sheet data
is also changed in other sheets.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
vac vac is offline

This was only partially helpful. I have followed the directions multiple
times and continue to get the zeros. i have tried to format the page as
text, but zeros come each time anyway. I also need to be able to make the
changes on both the original and the linked copy so that each document change
show up on the other. If i get the zeros to leave, is it as simple as going
through the process twice, A to B and B to A.