Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Automatically highlight max and min values in a column in Excel

Is there a way in Excel to automatically highlight the max and min
values in a column? (Without writing any fancy scripts).

I know that there are max/min functions, but being able to highlight
the data point (or perhaps the entire row) instead of seeing the max/
min values in separate cells will make my life much more easier.

Mahurshi Akilla

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select the range in question, do formatconditional formatting, select
formula is and use

=A1=MAX($A$1:$A$10)

click the format button, click pattern and select the highlight colour for
MAX,
click OK, then click add and repeat but replace MAX with MIN and set a
highlight colour for MIN

Replace A1 with the active cell in the ranger you select and A1:A10 with the
range

Peo Sjoblom
"Mahurshi Akilla" wrote in message
ps.com...
Is there a way in Excel to automatically highlight the max and min
values in a column? (Without writing any fancy scripts).

I know that there are max/min functions, but being able to highlight
the data point (or perhaps the entire row) instead of seeing the max/
min values in separate cells will make my life much more easier.

Mahurshi Akilla

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No fancy scripts needed!

For versions prior to Excel 2007

Assume your range of numbers is in A1:A10
Select the range A1:A10. When done properly A1 will be the active cell. The
active cell is the one that DOESN'T have a "blueish" color to it.
Goto the menu FormatConditional Formatting
Select Formula Is
Enter this formula in the box on the right:
=AND(COUNT(A$1:A$10),A1=MIN(A$1:A$10))
Click the Format button
Select the Patterns tab
Select a cell fill color
Click OK
Click the Add button
Select Formula Is
Enter this formula in the box on the right:
=AND(COUNT(A$1:A$10),A1=MAX(A$1:A$10))
Click the Format button
Select the Patterns tab
Select a cell fill color