Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Getting more than 256 columns in Excel

I have to work with a lot of data (basically a 500x500 matrix of
numbers). I understand that Excel can not handle more than 256
columns at a time. Is there a way to trick it to go beyond that? Are
there any pathes/downloads that can provide this enhancement?

Mahurshi Akilla

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Mahurshi Akilla" wrote:
I have to work with a lot of data (basically a 500x500 matrix of
numbers). I understand that Excel can not handle more than 256
columns at a time. Is there a way to trick it to go beyond that? Are
there any pathes/downloads that can provide this enhancement?

Mahurshi Akilla

Thanks. I will see if I can upgrade to 2007.

Mahurshi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you know the column number you want you could use

="sheet2"!cells(row(),150) instead of =cells(row(),400)

If you don't know the column but it has a label, you can modify
a formula that looks for the column label and extends that to other sheets
a bit messy.
http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...oglegroups.com

--
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP -- Excel

"Mahurshi Akilla" wrote:
I have to work with a lot of data (basically a 500x500 matrix of
numbers). I understand that Excel can not handle more than 256
columns at a time. Is there a way to trick it to go beyond that? Are
there any pathes/downloads that can provide this enhancement?

Mahurshi Akilla

Thanks. I will see if I can upgrade to 2007.

Mahurshi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

sorry messed up,
if you the the column number should be 400, should be like:
400-250 is 150

=INDIRECT("sheet2!" &ADDRESS(ROW(),150))

not as I previously posted