Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default 'Show Desktop' taskbar icon

Hi all...Sorry to post this here, but the 'New Question' window made me
choose a program to post this to, and Windows is not a choice...wonder why???

Somehow I've lost the 'Show Desktop' icon on my taskbar. Can anyone tell me
the steps to put it back?

Thanks in advance...will leave feedback.

--
smither fan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The reason is that this is the MS Office forum, not the MS Windows forum.

The icon ought to be in this folder
C:\Documents and Settings\your name\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Quick Launch

So if you unchecked the QuickLaunch toolbar, you won't see it anymore.
If, however, you deleted the icon from the QuickLaunch bar, you can restore
with the help of this little program:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_showdesktop.htm

Or if you'd like to do it yourself, here's how:

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=332

And finally, here's the long version as written by MS:

http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=190355

As you can tell, search engines are your friend. :)

Good luck.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

goto start-search
set "show desktop" for file of folder (no quote marks)
select look in hidden files and folders
(I found 14 copies on my computer // none before looked in hidden)
click on one and drag it to your taskbar

"Ross" wrote:

Hi all...Sorry to post this here, but the 'New Question' window made me
choose a program to post this to, and Windows is not a choice...wonder why???

Somehow I've lost the 'Show Desktop' icon on my taskbar. Can anyone tell me
the steps to put it back?

Thanks in advance...will leave feedback.

--
smither fan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Neat idea.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A couple more options.

Flying windows d
will show the desktop.

Flying windows m
will minimize all the open windows

Flying windows shift-m
will put the windows back

The flying windows key is usually(?) between the ctrl-key and the alt-key.

Ross wrote:

Hi all...Sorry to post this here, but the 'New Question' window made me
choose a program to post this to, and Windows is not a choice...wonder why???

Somehow I've lost the 'Show Desktop' icon on my taskbar. Can anyone tell me
the steps to put it back?

Thanks in advance...will leave feedback.

--
smither fan

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Haha, that's even better... who needs an icon when you can use the keyboard
instead.

Thank you.