Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default round up calculations

Hi all,

I am using excel to calculate numbers with percentage increases. I am using
simple calculation formulas that reads the number on the 1st box and then
based on the % that I want to increase the number, gives me the increased
number on the next box. However, the calculation is based on the delimited
number that is on the first box - although I have hide the delimits on the
screen. The question here is how can I make the system calculate the % based
on the rounded number that I can see on the screen and not on the delimited
number which is actualy hidden behind the rounded number?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Read in help about ToolsOptionCalculation tab, Precision as displayed

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"georana" wrote in message ...
| Hi all,
|
| I am using excel to calculate numbers with percentage increases. I am using
| simple calculation formulas that reads the number on the 1st box and then
| based on the % that I want to increase the number, gives me the increased
| number on the next box. However, the calculation is based on the delimited
| number that is on the first box - although I have hide the delimits on the
| screen. The question here is how can I make the system calculate the % based
| on the rounded number that I can see on the screen and not on the delimited
| number which is actualy hidden behind the rounded number?
|
| Thanks a lot for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi georana,

You could try wrapping your formula with a ROUND function (eg =ROUND(A1*B2,2) rounds a number to two decimal places). There's also a
ROUNDUP and ROWNDOWN function.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"georana" wrote in message ...
Hi all,

I am using excel to calculate numbers with percentage increases. I am using
simple calculation formulas that reads the number on the 1st box and then
based on the % that I want to increase the number, gives me the increased
number on the next box. However, the calculation is based on the delimited
number that is on the first box - although I have hide the delimits on the
screen. The question here is how can I make the system calculate the % based
on the rounded number that I can see on the screen and not on the delimited
number which is actualy hidden behind the rounded number?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks a lot Niek. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks again.

George

"georana" wrote in message ...
| Hi all,
|
| I am using excel to calculate numbers with percentage increases. I am using
| simple calculation formulas that reads the number on the 1st box and then
| based on the % that I want to increase the number, gives me the increased
| number on the next box. However, the calculation is based on the delimited
| number that is on the first box - although I have hide the delimits on the
| screen. The question here is how can I make the system calculate the % based
| on the rounded number that I can see on the screen and not on the delimited
| number which is actualy hidden behind the rounded number?
|
| Thanks a lot for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you have rounded the display of the first cell to 2 decimal places for
example, then you could use =ROUND(A1,2)*(105%)
Another potion is to use Tools/ Options/ Calculation/ Precision as
displayed, but remember that the latter option will lose the original
precise data, so you may well wish to save a copy before you go down that
route.
--
David Biddulph