Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Using + and / as characters not as functional formatting

I want to use + and / symbols as text (in a table to designate positive or
negative evaluation), but formatting all cells in the document as 'text' does
not keep Excel from recognizing them as computing functions. Here is the
weird part. If I copy and paste a + or / character from a word document, it
will work, but I can't simply type + or / into the cell. Help???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes, that does seem to work (thank you) but is there no other way?? ...it
seems ridiculous that when the text formatting specifically reads "the cell
is desplayed exactly as entered." that it should do exactly that. Issue: I
have to include this apostrophe trick in the instructions for completing the
evaluation table--for all my users who are not Excel fans, and in a big hurry!

"Bonnie" wrote in message
I want to use + and / symbols as text (in a table to designate positive or
negative evaluation), but formatting all cells in the document as 'text'
does
not keep Excel from recognizing them as computing functions. Here is the
weird part. If I copy and paste a + or / character from a word document,
it
will work, but I can't simply type + or / into the cell. Help???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You mention positive and negative.

What problem are you having when you try to enter a
+50
OR
-100
into a Text *pre* formatted cell?

Isn't the minus sign good enough to symbolize a negative?

If you must use the slash, try the " \ " instead of " / ".
--
HTH,

RD

"Bonnie" wrote in message
I want to use + and / symbols as text (in a table to designate positive
or
negative evaluation), but formatting all cells in the document as
'text'
does
not keep Excel from recognizing them as computing functions. Here is
the
weird part. If I copy and paste a + or / character from a word
document,
it
will work, but I can't simply type + or / into the cell. Help???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That's odd, because in XL 2000 I can type * followed by <Enter, or
+<Enter, or -<Enter, or /<Enter into a cell formatted as General
and get the symbols *, +, - and / respectively.

I had to change Tools | Options | Transition (tab) | Microsoft Excel
Menu or Help Key from "/" (default) to something else ("?") in order
to get the / visible.

Hope this helps.

Pete

"Bonnie" wrote in message
I want to use + and / symbols as text (in a table to designate positive or
negative evaluation), but formatting all cells in the document as 'text'
does
not keep Excel from recognizing them as computing functions. Here is the
weird part. If I copy and paste a + or / character from a word document,
it
will work, but I can't simply type + or / into the cell. Help???- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JMB JMB is offline

Like Ragdyer, I had no problems w/+ when the cell was pre-formatted as text.
I can use the / key if I go to Tools/Options/Transition and delete the /
under Microsoft Excel menu or help key (or change it to something else). But
each of your users would need to do this on their machines if they don't like
'/.

Or you could disable it w/a macro when they open the workbook by putting
this code in the Thisworkbook module in the VBA editor

On Error Resume Next
Application.TransitionMenuKey = strTransitionMenuKey
End Sub

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
On Error Resume Next
With Application
strTransitionMenuKey = .TransitionMenuKey
.TransitionMenuKey = ""
End With
End Sub

and this in a regular VBA module:

Public strTransitionMenuKey As String

if you are new to macros, there are some instructions on David McRitchies
site:
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm

"Bonnie" wrote in message
I want to use + and / symbols as text (in a table to designate positive or
negative evaluation), but formatting all cells in the document as 'text'
does
not keep Excel from recognizing them as computing functions. Here is the
weird part. If I copy and paste a + or / character from a word document,
it
will work, but I can't simply type + or / into the cell. Help???

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Oops! She/he could be American and with them it's impossible in many cases
to tell
gender from name, not that I noticed the name in this case anyway before I
posted that <bg

Peo Sjoblom

"Pete_UK" wrote in message
oups.com...
I think Bonnie is a "she", Peo <g

Pete

On Aug 31, 12:47 am, "Peo Sjoblom" wrote:
Same in later versions. Maybe he has something in autocorrect

Peo Sjoblom

ups.com...