Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Count formulas

I need a formula to give total records of a column except blank cells
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Look at COUNTA function.

I need a formula to give total records of a column except blank cells

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

what will the formula be. I have A2:A35 but A20 is blank i dont want it to
count A20

"Toppers" wrote:

Look at COUNTA function.

I need a formula to give total records of a column except blank cells

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Jessica,
Records is meaningless in the context of your question
in Excel terms, you are looking for cells with content.

When you look at suggestion consider also that ISBLANK in Excel,
or ISEMPTY in VBA means that the cell has no content. A cell with
a formula or a cell with a space(s) or a single quote to denote
a null text string all have content so would not be ISBLANK.

see John Walkenbach's page:
Tip 74: Summing and Counting Using Multiple Criteria provides a number of
examples using SUMIF, COUNTIF, SUM that should solve most counting and
summing problems. Tip 52: Cell Counting Techniques provides information on
counting within a range using: DCOUNT, COUNT, COUNTA, COUNTBLANK, COUNTIF,
and includes one array formula example.

The following may also be of interest:
Summarizing Data Examples (an Overview) -- on this site. Summarizing Data
Examples: Auto Filter with Hotel Room Availability Example, Pivot Table, Sub
Totals, Counts (COUNT, COUNTIF, SUM, SUMIF, SUMPRODUCT), Conditional
Formatting, Sum of Visible Cells. Has additional references at end.
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sumdata.htm

Strings and Manipulations
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/strings.htm

--
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP -- Excel

"Jessica" wrote in message
I need a formula to give total records of a column except blank cells

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=COUNTA(A2:A35) will give count of the non-blank cells in this range. If A20
is blank, you will get an answer of 33.

Is this what you require?

"Jessica" wrote:

what will the formula be. I have A2:A35 but A20 is blank i dont want it to
count A20

"Toppers" wrote:

Look at COUNTA function.

"Jessica" wrote:

I need a formula to give total records of a column except blank cells

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Please use your Excel HELP (F1), you should have been able
to use "Toppers" reply.
=COUNTA(A2:A35)

"Jessica" wrote in message
what will the formula be. I have A2:A35 but A20 is blank i dont want it
count A20

"Toppers" wrote:

Look at COUNTA function.